Diatomaceous earth is an extremely absorbent material that is able to draw in up to twice its weight in moisture.
This makes it a highly effective deodorizing agent, useful for many applications such as removing unwanted odors from carpet, storage spaces, refrigerators and more.
Perhaps one of the most overlooked applications for diatomaceous earth deodorizer, however, is shoe odor.
Contrary to popular belief, odorous shoes do not become odorous through simple everyday wear and tear, or exposure to odorous materials. Most shoe odor is caused by a bacteria called Brevibacterium, which ingest dead skin tissue inside shoes.
The digestion process of this bacterial involves the conversion of amino acid into methanethiol, which is a gas that gives off an odorous scent.
Diatomaceous earth is able to wick away the moisture this bacteria strain needs to survive, causing any odor-causing microorganisms to die.
Diatomaceous earth, when used as a shoe deodorizer, will also help prevent foot infections such as athlete’s foot by removing the environmental parameters that contribute to the growth of the microorganisms that cause it.
In this article, we’ll provide an outline of the basic steps involved with treating your shoes with diatomaceous earth.
What You’ll Need
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
- A Vacuum
Step 1: Prepare Your Shoes
Begin by leaving the shoes in a cool, dry place for 24 hours to allow them to dry as much as possible. If possible, remove the insoles.
Step 2: Apply Diatomaceous Earth
Once your shoes are dry, place one tablespoon of diatomaceous earth inside each shoe. Using your hand or a small brush, massage the diatomaceous earth into the interior surface of the shoe. Proceed to place another 1-3 tablespoons of diatomaceous earth in each shoe.
Step 3: Wait
After dusting your shoes with diatomaceous earth, leave them in a cool, dry place for 24-48 hours. The diatomaceous earth will absorb all of the moisture in the shoes that contributes to bad odors.
Step 5: Clean Diatomaceous Earth
Proceed to use the vacuum to pull the diatomaceous earth out of your shoes. If you have a less powerful vacuum cleaner, you may want to empty as much diatomaceous earth as possible from your shoes before using your vacuum.
Diatomaceous earth consists of fine silica particles that can damage or even burn out a weaker vacuum motor.
Repeat this process as often as needed to keep shoes odor-free. You may want to consider leaving a teaspoon of diatomaceous earth inside your shoes at all times to prevent excess moisture.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earthdiatom For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.