Diatomaceous earth, or DE, is a highly versatile substance with many different applications. Consisting of over 85% silica, DE is highly absorbent as is able to soak up and extremely large amount of moisture. This property makes diatomaceous a highly efficient pest control agent, preservative and more, but most importantly makes it great for cleaning up spills.
The porous molecular composition of diatomaceous earth is perfect for absorbing oil and grease. Paper towels and sponges often leave behind a residue as the non-porous composition of these cleaning substances are unable to gather up all of the spill. This presents a health risk, as grease and oil residue left on hard surfaces can often cause dangerous slips and falls.
Cleaning solutions designed to cut through grease often rely on extremely pH basic chemicals that have the ability to penetrate deep into the tissue of the body if touched, or can be inhaled and cause damage to the respiratory system.
Diatomaceous earth is completely chemical free, economical, and safe to use around animals and children. In this article, we’ll provide a step-by-step process detailing the best method of using diatomaceous earth to clean up grease and oil spills.
Step 1: Act Immediately
The most important step in dealing with a grease or oil spill is acting immediately. Grease and oil can soak into carpet or fabric surfaces, so the sooner the act the less likely it is you’ll be able to completely remove the stain.
If you spill grease or oil, move quickly and apply diatomaceous earth to the area. A covering of 1 inch should be sufficient to absorb even the worst stains.
Step 2: Wait for DE to Absorb Spill
Once you’ve coated the spill in a thick layer of diatomaceous earth, wait 12-24 hours or overnight for the DE to absorb the oil or grease.
Diatomaceous earth is able to hold up to twice its weight in liquid, so the longer you wait the more likely it is that the DE will absorb the entirety of the spill.
Step 3: Dispose of Diatomaceous Earth
Once the DE has absorbed the spill, simply sweep it up with a dustpan and broom and dispose of it. If your spill is on a carpeted area, vacuum the residue up after completing this step. You’ll need to make sure the diatomaceous earth is completely dry before vacuuming, so if there is any leftover moisture repeat steps 1 and 2 before proceeding.
Note that some smaller or less powerful home vacuum cleaners can struggle with the fine particles that make up diatomaceous earth and potentially burn out the motor. If you’re concerned about your vacuum, it’s advisable to hire a shop vac for this purpose.
Step 4 (Optional): Scrub the Stain
If the spill has caused a stain on a carpeted surface, you may need to scrub it with warm, soapy water to remove the grease mark.
Use natural soap and warm water with a scrubbing brush, then perform steps 1 and 2 again. This process should completely remove any leftover grease or oil stains.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earthdiatom For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.