Wasps and hornets are common household pests that can be extremely aggressive and dangerous. Both species of flying insects have a habit of building large nests around homes and are territorial, often stinging pets and children.
Depending on the geographic region in which you live, wasps typically begin activity in early spring, throughout the summer months and into autumn.
Wasps and hornets commonly build their nests either in overhanging trees or under the eaves of homes. Hornet and wasp removal services are typically rather dangerous and should be performed by a trained professional, which can become expensive.
The most cost effective method of dealing with wasps around your home is to deter them from creating nests in the first place. Most wasp and hornet deterrents are highly toxic pesticides or insecticides that can have a detrimental effect on both your health and the local environment.
Diatomaceous Earth For Wasps & Hornets?
Diatomaceous earth offers an alternative to these poisonous treatments. Completely natural and pH neutral, diatomaceous earth is a highly effective wasp and hornet deterrent that will prevent these insects from gaining a foothold in your yard or around your home.
In this article we’ll provide a step-by-step explanation of the best method of treating your home and garden for wasps and hornets with diatomaceous earth.
Step 1: Locate Insect Activity Regions
The first step in treating your home or garden for wasp or hornets it to locate and identify the areas that could potentially harbor these insects. Wasps and hornets prefer to build nests in dark, shady areas that are low to the ground, such as under stairs, decking, patios, patio furniture, BBQ grills or eaves.
If you observe nesting activity in any of these areas it’s possible to treat them with a high-powered hose before applying diatomaceous earth, but for larger nests or established wasp colonies it’s best to call in a professional.
Step 2: Apply Diatomaceous Earth
Once you’ve located all of the regions in which wasps or hornets may potentially nest, treat those areas with diatomaceous earth. You’ll need to ensure that each area is covered with a light but thorough covering of diatomaceous earth.
When scout insects investigate these regions for potential nest locations, the diatomaceous earth will bind to their exoskeleton and draw out the lipid oils inside their bodies, fatally dehydrating them before they can begin pheromone signaling to other wasps or hornets.
Applying diatomaceous earth by hand is often wasteful and difficult. For distributing diatomaceous earth over larger areas, especially outside, it’s best to use a diatomaceous earth applicator or duster. For detailed information on the best duster for this job, check out our Top 3 Diatomaceous Earth Applicators article.
Step 3: Remain Vigilant
This process is effective in keeping wasps and hornets away from your property, but will only work while the treated areas are covered in diatomaceous earth. Be sure to repeat this process every 4-5 weeks, and monitor your yard for wasp or hornet activity. It’s also important to re-apply preventative DE after heavy rainfall or wind.
Although diatomaceous earth is poison and chemical free, non toxic, and completely inert, there are a number of safety precautions to keep in mind while distributing it.
The fine silica particles that make up diatomaceous earth have the propensity to irritate the eyes or respiratory tract if inhaled, so be sure to gear up with appropriate safety gear. When distributing diatomaceous earth in large amounts, always wear a dust mask, safety goggles and gloves.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earth For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.