Switching to using diatomaceous earth instead of the many different toxic chemicals in your home is a great way to help protect the environment and minimize your ecological footprint.
Although diatomaceous earth helps to protect the environment, many diatomaceous earth users are unaware of one of the most important factors that contribute to environmental damage- product packaging.
Most of the diatomaceous earth brands that are commonly available provide diatomaceous earth packaged in plastic BPA bags that are non-biodegradable.
This means that while these DE users are helping to reduce their chemical footprint, they’re still contributing to landfill and environmental damage.
The diatomaceous earth we recommend is packaged in 100% recyclable paper bags that offer a number of significant advantages to environmentally-damaging BPA plastic packaging, as well as reducing the impact this kind of packaging has on your health.
In this article, we’ll explain the dangers of BPA plastic and why we recommend diatomaceous earth that has been packaged in biodegradable or recyclable packaging.
What Is BPA Plastic And Why Is It Bad For Your Health?
BPA plastics are plastics made from Bisphenol A. Bisphenol A, or BPA, is an industrial chemical that has been incorporated into plastic production methods since the late 1960’s.
Commonly found in the polycarbonate and epoxy resin plastics used in food and beverage containers and product packaging, BPA substances have come under scrutiny in recent years, as research has demonstrated a link between this dangerous chemical and a wide range of health conditions.
BPA plastics have been demonstrated in over 1000 animal studies to have a significant impact on health.
The primary argument against the use of BPA in packaging comes from a number of studies that link it to health disorders such as structural damage to the brain, hyperactivity, learning impairment, increased fat development and obesity.
More sinister symptoms of BPA exposure are altered immune function and even long-term damage to the hormonal system, acting as a xenoestrogen that mimics the effect of estrogen on the body.
Despite the large body of evidence pointing towards the negative health effects of BPA products, the FDA has yet to take any action to prevent the public from being exposed to this dangerous substance.
Over 10 billion pounds of BPA products are manufactured every year, with the market for BPA valued at over 13 billion in 2013.
These factors may contribute to the lack of legislative action against BPA, but for now this toxic chemical is endemic throughout the entire packaging industry.
BPA Products And The Environment
The negative effects of BPA aren’t limited to the human body. Every year, the United States alone generate over 31 million tonnes of waste plastic, much of which makes its way to the ocean.
The worldwide recycling rate for plastics is only 8%, with the vast majority either buried in landfill or contaminating the environment.
Most plastic takes more than 450 years to decompose naturally, meaning that all of the packaging used to deliver BPA-wrapped diatomaceous earth can contaminate the world for more than half a millennia.
Over 46,000 individual pieces of plastic float on each square mile of the ocean, meaning that unless drastic action is taken soon, the environment and your health may be dramatically and permanently altered by the use of these highly toxic compounds.
What Can You Do To Minimize BPA Usage?
The best way to minimize your impact on the environment is to actively avoid any product that uses BPA plastic for packaging.
Our recommended diatomaceous earth is packaged in entirely biodegradable paper that doesn’t create long-term environmental issues.
The larger bags of diatomaceous earth we recommend, such as the 1 lb bag of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, may look like BPA but is actually composed of a unique biodegradable rice paper that is completely biodegradable.
Additionally, all of our recommended diatomaceous earth is backed by the UPS “carbon neutral shipping” initiative, which balances the overall environmental delivery cost of the product by supporting projects such as reforestation, landfill gas destruction, wastewater treatment and methane destruction.
Overall, the issue of environmental damage caused by plastics and toxins may seem insurmountable, but the health risks presented by using these products serve as a clear motivating factor to cut them out of your life.
Reducing your reliance on both chemicals and BPA products has been conclusively demonstrated to offer a significant reduction in systemic disease and an overall improvement in quality of life.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earthdiatom For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.