Trash cans can harbor dangerous levels of pathogens and bacteria, creating bad odors and presenting a significant health risk.
Garbage and trash cans, if left uncleaned, can develop moisture and mold, contributing to the spread of diseases such as salmonella, E. coli, listeria, as well as the common cold.
Aside from these harmful pathogens, a smelly trash can also create an uncomfortable living environment and can be irritating.
Diatomaceous earth is composed of fine silica powder. This powder is extremely absorbent and porous, able to absorb more than two times its weight in moisture from the air around it.
This property makes it a highly effective deodorizing agent for any space that develops bad odors. As an added bonus, diatomaceous earth also acts as a highly effective insect killer.
The fine silica particles that compose diatomaceous earth bind to the exoskeleton of crawling insects, wearing away the waxy outer layer and absorbing the moisture inside their bodies, fatally dehydrating them.
Using diatomaceous earth in your trash can not only keep away bad odors, but will deter insect pests such as ants or cockroaches.
In this article, we’ll provide a few simple steps on how to use diatomaceous earth as a deodorizer for your trash can.
What You’ll Need
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
- A Diatomaceous Earth Applicator
- Warm Soapy Water
- A Broom
Step 1: Clean Trash Can
Begin by emptying your trash can and rinsing it out with warm soapy water. Using a broom, scrub the interior of the trash can to remove any built up dirt or mold. Allow the trash can to dry before proceeding to the next step.
Step 2: Apply Diatomaceous Earth
Using a diatomaceous earth applicator, coat the inside of the trash can with a fine layer of diatomaceous earth. Applying a layer of diatomaceous earth roughly ½ inch thick will absorb bad odors and help keep your trash can pest-free.
For information on the best applicator to use for this process, check out our article on Squeeze Dusters and Bulb Dusters: Which One is Best?.
Step 3: Repeat
Repeat this process and re-apply diatomaceous earth once weekly.
Diatomaceous earth is inert, natural and chemical free, but will irritate the nose, eyes, and throat if inhaled. When handling diatomaceous earth in confined spaces, always be sure to wear a dust mask and safety goggles.
You may want to improve the efficacy and odor of your trash can by using essential oil infused diatomaceous earth.
For more information on using diatomaceous earth in combination with essential oils, see our article on Essential Oil Infused Diatomaceous Earth for Aromatherapy.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earthdiatom For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.