Silverware is a carefully cared for item in the home, typically used only on special occasions. Although silver is a lustrous metal that provides a high degree of shine and aesthetic appeal, it is prone to a chemical reaction that occurs over long periods of time.
Silver tarnish causes a patina that reduces the shine of silverware due to an oxidative reaction between the oxygen in the atmosphere and silver. This patina typically manifests as a dull film that covers silverware.
The commonly available silverware cleaning solutions designed to remove tarnish patina are composed of highly toxic metal polishing agents that present a very serious poisoning risk.
Metal polish poisoning can cause extremely dangerous symptoms such as breathing difficulty, severe abdominal pain, vision loss, convulsions, and even lung collapse or coma.
The best way to prevent metal polish poisoning from occurring in your home is to avoid its use altogether by preventing silver from tarnishing.
Diatomaceous earth can be used as a chemical-free silverware tarnish remover, but can also prevent the tarnish from occurring in the first place.
By protecting silverware from exposure to both moisture and oxygen, diatomaceous earth is a completely inert and chemical-free preventative measure that will preserve the long-term integrity of your silverware.
In this article, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide on the best method of preventing silver tarnish with diatomaceous earth.
What You’ll Need
- A Towel or Cloth
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
- A Diatomaceous Earth Duster
- An Airtight Container
Step 1: Prepare Container & Clean Silverware
Aside from oxygen exposure, the other main cause of silverware tarnish is the gas emitted by decaying food particles.
Clean your silverware extensively after use and dry thoroughly. Dust the inside of your airtight container and place a dry towel inside of it, dusting the towel with DE. Place the silverware on the towel.
Step 2: Apply Diatomaceous Earth
Proceed by dusting the silverware with diatomaceous earth until it is completely covered. A diatomaceous earth duster will assist with creating an even distribution and minimizing mess. The best tool for this dusting process is a squeeze duster.
For information on the best dusters, see our article on Squeeze Dusters and Bulb Dusters: Which One is Best?.
Step 3: Store Silverware
Once you’ve dusted the silverware with diatomaceous earth, wrap them with the DE dusted towel and close the lid of the airtight container.
Store in a cool, dry place. The diatomaceous earth will absorb the moisture content of the container, preventing your silverware from tarnishing.
Always be sure to use only food grade diatomaceous earth for any application in which it may be ingested.
Other forms of diatomaceous earth, such as pest control grade diatomaceous earth, can contain toxic insecticides that are designed to enhance their efficacy.
Only 100% food grade diatomaceous earth is safe to use on silverware.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earthdiatom For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.