Copper bottomed pots and pans have a number of distinct advantages over stainless steel or teflon-coated pans.
Copper has a superior level of heat conductivity than stainless steel, meaning that these pans are more responsive to temperature adjustment than traditional steel pans. Professional chefs all over the world prefer copper bottom pans for this reason.
Copper bottom pans are also rising in popularity compared to teflon pans due to recent research that implicates teflon in a wide number of health complications.
A chemical called Perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA, is used in the manufacture of teflon pans. This chemical is highly carcinogenic and has been shown to be able to penetrate deeply into both the environment and the human body.
Copper pans offer an alternative to inferior steel or teflon pans, but have a distinct drawback in that they frequently gather stains and burned-on detritus of cooking.
Powerful cleaning products designed to clear away these stains often contain similarly dangerous cleaning agents, such as sodium lauryl sulfate, which is a potent corrosive chemical that can also penetrate the body and contribute to hormone imbalances.
Diatomaceous earth offers a natural, organic alternative to these dangerous cleaning chemicals. Composed of fine, abrasive silica particles, diatomaceous earth dust is able to scrape away built-up food residue and grease with no need for toxins or synthetic cleaning agents.
In this article, we’ll explain the best method of using diatomaceous earth to clean your copper bottomed pans.
What You’ll Need
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
- Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil
- A Cleaning Cloth
Step 1: Wash & Dry Pans
To begin treating your copper bottom pans with diatomaceous earth, firstly thoroughly wash and dry them to remove any excess food or grease residue.
Step 2: Mix Diatomaceous Earth
To use diatomaceous earth as a scrub effectively, you’ll need to create a scrubbing paste. Mix one teaspoon of organic vegetable oil or olive oil with two tablespoons of diatomaceous earth. Mix until a paste-like consistency is achieved.
Step 3: Scrub Pots & Pans
To use diatomaceous earth scrubbing paste on your pans, dip a damp cleaning cloth in the paste. Apply it to the pan in a circular motion with a moderate amount of pressure, focusing on areas with particularly stubborn stains.
Repeat this process until grease and food stains are gone. You will notice a dramatic increase in luster and shine.
Step 4: Rinse Pots & Pans
After scrubbing the pans, rinse away the excess diatomaceous earth paste and dry them with a clean washcloth. Store in a dry place.
Always ensure you’re using only food grade diatomaceous earth in any application in which diatomaceous earth is applied to a surface that will be used with food.
There are many grades of diatomaceous earth that are dangerous if ingested, such as pest control grade DE or pool grade DE. Only food grade DE is suitable for scrubbing cookware.
Never use this technique on a pan that has been treated with teflon or a non-stick coating. The chemicals used to create these coatings are extremely dangerous if ingested, and diatomaceous earth will scrape them away, creating a particulate that may contaminate your food.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earthdiatom For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.