Diatomaceous earth, or DE, is extremely effective in removing smaller insect pests from the home, but many people are unaware that it is just as effective in removing larger insects.
Scorpions can be irritating and dangerous household pests in many tropical and subtropical geographic regions, hiding in bedding and fabrics. With the potential to cause painful stings, scorpions are unwanted intruders that normally require the use of dangerous chemical deterrents to eliminate.
Diatomaceous earth offers a unique, natural alternative to hazardous insecticides, creating an organic, neutral barrier that both destroys existing scorpions and prevents them from entering your home.
DE is composed of a fine silica dust that bonds to the exoskeleton of scorpions of all sizes, abrading the outer layer and drawing out the lipid oils inside, fatally dehydrating them with no need for toxins or poisons. Chemical free and safe to use around children, pets, and food, diatomaceous earth is the ultimate scorpion killer.
In this article we’ll provide instructions on how to rid your home and garden of scorpions with diatomaceous earth.
What You’ll Need:
- Diatomaceous Earth
- Cleaning Equipment
- A Black Light (optional)
- A Diatomaceous Earth Applicator
Step 1: Locate Incursion Points & Scorpion Activity Regions
The first step in treating your home for scorpions with diatomaceous earth is to completely clean your living space. Scorpions, like many insectile pests, thrive in unsanitary conditions. Scorpions typically enter homes to prey upon smaller insects that feed on food waste such as cockroaches, so cleaning your home is the first step in removing them. Dismantle furniture and extensively sweep, mop and vacuum your home.
Once your home is clean, identify any paths through which scorpions may enter your home. Doors, windows, cracks in floorboards and baseboard holes are common entrance points for scorpions.
Mark these areas with a post-it-note for future reference. If you’d like to be extra thorough, source a UV black light and patrol your home at night, illuminating the areas you’re investigating with the light. Under a blacklight, a scorpion will appear fluorescent green. This technique is effective for locating scorpions in your garden, outside of your living area.
Step 2: Distribute Diatomaceous Earth
After you’ve located areas with high scorpion activity, distribute diatomaceous earth. Placing a fine layer of DE dust around these areas will create a natural barrier that scorpions must cross to enter your home, causing the DE to bind to their exoskeleton.
An applicator will assist with this process, helping to distribute the dust evenly with minimal effort.
Within your home, focus on the areas that you previously marked with post-it-notes. Outside of your home, distribute diatomaceous earth around garden beds, gravel areas, your attic and crawlspace, and crevices and cracks.
Cinder blocks are frequently used as nesting areas from scorpions, so if you own a cinder block fence be sure to distribute DE liberally around it.
Leave the diatomaceous earth in place for as long as possible- if it rains during the treatment period, be sure to reapply the DE outside as water will wash it away.
Treating your home for scorpions takes longer than treating your home for smaller insects due to their motile range. To ensure your treatment is working effectively, continue to observe your home, watching for scorpion activity with a blacklight.
If you observe scorpions changing their behavioural patterns to avoid the DE, reapply DE around their new movement patterns. Re-apply diatomaceous earth every five days until the scorpions have been eliminated.
Diatomaceous earth is completely safe and non toxic, but always be sure to wear the correct safety gear when dealing with both DE and scorpions. The fine silica particles that make up diatomaceous earth have the propensity to irritate the sinus and lungs if inhaled, so gear up with a dust mask and safety goggles.
As scorpions can inflict a nasty bite depending on the species, always wear thick garden gloves when investigating.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free.
Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earth For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.