It’s no secret that diatomaceous earth, or DE, has a wide number of applications. From implementation as an agricultural feed filler or fertilizer to natural chemical-free pest control agent, diatomaceous earth is a non-toxic, naturally occurring mineral that has been used in a broad spectrum of uses for over a century.
Recently growing in popularity, however, is the use of DE as a dietary health supplement. The molecular composition and mineral content of DE makes it a highly effective dietary aid with a wide number of potential health benefits.
Before deciding to add DE to your diet, however, it’s best to learn about the interactions between DE and the body, it’s current regulatory status, and where it comes from.
Where Does Diatomaceous Earth Come From?
Diatomaceous Earth, while it’s mined from mineral deposits, isn’t actually earth at all. DE is composed from the fossilized remains of aquatic plant life from millions of years ago. These fossilized plant remains are typically found in ancient dried lake beds and are rich in silica, which is an integral component of the ligaments, muscles and cartilage of the human body.
Diatomaceous earth is mined from mineral deposits, with different deposits providing different grades of DE quality. Some deposits provide only cure diatomaceous earth suitable only for industrial applications, while other provide nutrient-rich food-grade DE.
What Makes Diatomaceous Earth Unique as a Health Supplement?
There are two primary factors that make DE a popular health supplement. The first is the high silica content of DE, with up to 85% of most DE composed of high quality silica. Silica has been used for decades to promote better hair, skin and nail health, as it’s a primary precursor in the synthesis of keratin within the body.
In a similar fashion, the body uses silica to regulate the production of collagen, which is essential for the health of joints, cartilage and ligaments. Many of the cosmetic effects of ageing are caused by a lack of collagen, leading many people to employ DE as an anti-ageing dietary supplement.
The second factor that contributes to the popularity of DE as a health supplement is the abrasive molecular structure of the powder. Under the microscope, diatomaceous earth appears as a fine particulate powder, with each individual particle possessing sharp, rough edges.
While these edges are not sharp enough to damage the inside of the digestive system, they are rough enough to scrape away the built up toxins and impurities that form inside the body.
Combined with the unique absorbent ability of silica powder, this cleansing property has led to the widespread use of DE as a detoxifying agent.
What Are the Health Benefits of Diatomaceous Earth?
Supplementing the diet with DE offers a broad spectrum of potential benefits. Silica is an important dietary supplement, promoting positive skin, hair, heart, digestive and joint health, potentially reducing the impact of inflammatory disorders such as arthritis.
DE has shown promise as a treatment for skin conditions such as psoriasis and dermatitis. User-reported health benefits describe a wide range of improvements to colon health, bowel movement regularity, digestive health, collagen production and more.
The FDA does not currently endorse the use of diatomaceous earth as a dietary supplement, citing a lack of formal research on the topic, but has classified DE as GRAS, or generally regarded as safe.
What Evidence is there Supporting Diatomaceous Earth as a Health Supplement?
Several clinical studies have demonstrated concrete evidence of health benefits derived from diatomaceous earth supplementation. A 2007 study determined that silica is essential for health and offers myriad benefits, while another 1998 study conclusively determined that diatomaceous earth is able to significantly lower blood cholesterol concentrations.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.