Diatomaceous earth, or DE, is a highly versatile and useful substance with a wide variety applications. Although DE is completely non-toxic, organic, chemical free and poison free, there are a few important safety precautions to keep in mind to make sure you’re using it correctly and safely.
The best way to ensure the safety of your family, pets and yourself is to ensure you’re using food-grade diatomaceous earth for any application where diatomaceous earth may be ingested or come into prolonged contact with skin.
Food grade diatomaceous earth should be used for both diatomaceous earth supplementation as well as any cosmetic application of diatomaceous earth. Pest control grade should always be stored and labeled separately from food grade diatomaceous earth.
Another important safety precaution to remember is to wear appropriate safety gear when dispersing or working with diatomaceous earth. Diatomaceous earth may be non toxic and completely inert, but it can cause irritation in the sinuses, respiratory system and eyes if inhaled.
When handling DE be sure to wear appropriate safety gear such as gloves, safety goggles and a dust mask to prevent irritation.
Although the diatomaceous earth industry is now safe for workers and does not contribute to enhanced mortality rates, there are a few safety lessons that can be taken from industry occupational health and safety standards.
Overexposure to heated (non food grade) diatomaceous earth, defined by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality as more than 40 hours per week, is linked to higher rates of cancer and silicosis. Although this may sound worrying, this is true only for pool-grade diatomaceous earth that has been heated to temperatures in excess of 1000 degrees celsius.
Food grade diatomaceous earth holds a GRAS, or generally regarded as safe status certified by the FDA. If you’re using diatomaceous earth in any capacity in your home, remember to follow these easy to remember safety tips:
- Always wear appropriate safety gear.
- Make sure the space in which you’re working with DE is well ventilated to prevent inhalation.
- If you feel dizzy or unwell while working with DE take a break immediately.
- If experiencing breathing discomfort or respiratory issues after accidentally inhaling diatomaceous earth be sure to consult a healthcare professional or doctor immediately.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellant
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benfeits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.