Essential oils are frequently used as preventative measures to keep rats and mice away from the home. Peppermint oil and lemon citrus oil both provide a strong olfactory signature that deters rodents from entering the home, allowing homeowners to keep their living space pest-free without dangerous poisons or chemicals.
While essential oils are effective at keeping rodents away, their efficacy can be multiplied significantly by combining them with diatomaceous earth, or DE.
The molecular structure of DE lends it highly absorbent properties that allow it to absorb high amounts of essential oils, creating a super-powerful rodent deterrent that is able to keep away all varieties of small mammals.
Completely non-toxic, chemical free and humane, DE essential oil rodent deterrent is a highly cost-effective solution for keeping mice and rats away from your home.
How to Make Diatomaceous Earth Essential Oil Rodent Deterrent
Creating your own rodent repellent at home with essential oils and DE is incredibly easy. In order to get started, you’ll need a few things:
- Food grade diatomaceous earth (1 cup)
- Lemon or peppermint essential oil
- ⅛ cup water
- Airtight plastic container
Begin by combining the water and essential oil of your choosing. While peppermint oil has a stronger scent, lemon or citrus essence will last longer.
Once you’ve combined the oil and water, add the diatomaceous earth slowly, stirring until achieving a paste consistency. Once you’ve finished stirring, place the mixture in an airtight plastic container for storage.
How to Use Diatomaceous Earth Essential Oil Rodent Deterrent
Using DE essential oil rodent deterrent is as simple as opening your container and leaving it wherever you don’t want rats or mice. The pantry, laundry, outside or inside, this potent repellent will keep your home rodent-free and smelling great.
The best part about DE essential oil repellent is that it’s completely humane and won’t harm any of the small creatures that it repels, and is safe to use around family pets and children as it’s completely non-toxic.
Re-using Diatomaceous Earth Essential Oil Deterrent
Unlike cotton balls or diffusers, DE essential oil paste can last a very long time. Once the water content of your repellent has evaporated, it’s possible to add another ⅛ cup water to bring it back to life.
Re-using dried DE repellent will create a mix that’s only 70%-80% effective, however, so you may want to add another drop of essential oil to the water before mixing.
Be sure to store unused DE essential oil rodent deterrent in an airtight container when not in use to preserve its water content and efficacy.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.