Using diatomaceous earth to protect dry food storage is an ancient practice that is still highly relevant today. Dry foods such as grains and cereals are susceptible to infestation by small insects such as weevils and flour beetles.
Mixing diatomaceous earth into stores of these foodstuffs is a cost effective manner of keeping your food safe from pests while at the same time preventing mold, mildew and damp from damaging it. Many modern agricultural enterprises use DE in this manner, and bringing it into your home is exceptionally easy.
Diatomaceous earth can protect foods like flour, cereal, legumes, corn, rice, pasta and more. Working to both dry out these goods and deter insects, diatomaceous earth is completely chemical-free and even has the added advantage of slightly increasing the nutritional content of your foods. In this article, we’ll provide a step-by-step process on the best method of protecting your food storage with diatomaceous earth.
What You’ll Need
- 100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
- Kitchen Sieve, Sifting Scoop or similar
The best ratio for incorporating diatomaceous earth into your food storage is roughly 1 teaspoon of diatomaceous earth for every pound of food. For long term storage of dry foods in dark places, we recommend 1 ½ teaspoons to 2 teaspoons of DE per pound of DE. For larger amounts of dry food, 1 cup of DE for every 50 pounds should suffice.
Step 1: Prepare Storage Container
Prepare the storage container that you’ll be placing your food in by first washing it out with warm, soapy water, and thoroughly drying it. After the container has dried, coat the insides and bottom of the vessel with a thin layer of diatomaceous earth. A diatomaceous earth applicator can help with this process.
Step 2: Layer Diatomaceous Earth and Food
Add three to four inches of dry food to the container, followed by another thin layer of diatomaceous earth. Repeat this process, adding layers of food followed by diatomaceous earth until the container is full. It’s best to measure out the total weight of food you’re planning on storing beforehand, measuring out the relevant amount of DE into a separate container, and using this evenly throughout the process.
Step 3: Mix DE and Food
Once you’ve filled the container, close the lid and shake it vigorously. If the container is too large to pick up and shake, this can be achieved by tipping the container from side to side until the DE is mixed with the dry food. It’s important to mix the DE with the food thoroughly to ensure every food particle is coated with DE.
Step 4: Finalize DE Application
After adding the diatomaceous earth to the food and mixing, add a final layer of DE over the top of the food. This layer shouldn’t be mixed with the DE- leave it on top to deter insects or pests from burrowing into the food.
Step 5: Seal & Store Container
Once your diatomaceous earth application is complete, seal the food container. Ensure that this seal is airtight and place the container in a cool, dry place for storage. If your container is airtight you won’t need to re-apply diatomaceous earth or check for pests regularly.
Tips & Tricks
Following these steps will ensure that your food is pest free and dry at all times. Food grade diatomaceous earth is completely non-toxic and chemical free, so to prepare your food for consumption after storage a quick rinse under cold water should suffice.
Diatomaceous earth can even be left on the food without cleaning, as it contains trace minerals that are actually beneficial for the human body and is completely tasteless.
Fine powder stores will retain diatomaceous earth- it’s not possible to sieve DE out of flour, for example, but it won’t affect the function or flavour.
Always remember to use food grade diatomaceous earth for any application involving food. As a side note, remember to discard any dry food that you’ve observed insect or pest activity in, as this food will be contaminated and unfit for consumption.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earth For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.