Flea treatments for dogs often require the use of intense chemical treatments that can cause skin conditions or illnesses in pets. Typically expensive and not 100% effective, chemical flea treatments can have a detrimental effect on both your health and that of your furry friend.
Diatomaceous earth offers a natural, chemical free and cost-effective alternative to these hazardous chemical treatments, effectively removing fleas from your pet and home with no unwanted side effects.
The absorbent molecular structure of diatomaceous earth, or DE, is able to bind to the exoskeleton of fleas and dehydrate them, removing all traces of fleas within days.
In this guide we’ll provide a breakdown of the most efficient way of treating your dog for fleas with diatomaceous earth.
Step 1: Locate Infested Areas
The first step in using diatomaceous earth to treat your canine for fleas is determining the areas in which your dog prefers to hang out. Dog beds, couches, cushions, rugs and kennels are all breeding ground for fleas.
Step 2: Clean & Quarantine
Once you’ve identified the areas your pet frequents the most, you’ll need to vacuum, wash and disinfect them. These areas are usually contaminated with flea eggs, which will cause a re-infestation once you’ve treated your dog directly.
Isolate these areas, clean them thoroughly and keep your dog away from them until the cleaning process is finished.
Step 3: Apply Diatomaceous Earth
The next step in eliminating the flea menace from your pet and home is applying DE dust to the affected areas. Dust the areas cleaned in the previous step extensively, working the powder into couch cushions, rugs and carpet by hand.
You may want to use a diatomaceous earth applicator for this to ensure an even spread. Once these areas are saturated with DE, apply a fine coat of DE to your dog.
Step 4: Cleanup
You’ll need to let the diatomaceous earth sit for two to three days while you wait for it to eliminate all of the fleas in your home. Before bathing your dog, make sure you vacuum away all of the previously applied DE from the affected areas.
Normal household vacuum cleaners sometimes struggle with the fine particulate of DE, so you may want to consider hiring a high-powered vacuum.
Step 5: Bathe Your Dog
After ensuring your living area is free from fleas, the next step is to bathe your pet. Dog skin is far more sensitive to dehydration than human skin, so be sure to use a canine shampoo formulated specifically for dogs.
After washing your dog, use a fine comb to remove dead fleas, larvae and eggs from their fur.
Step 6: Repeat Treatment Until Fleas Are Gone
For best results, repeat steps 1-3 every two to three weeks, but only bathe your dog once monthly to prevent skin irritation. Generally it will only take two to three treatments to fully rid your pet of fleas, by you may want to follow up with another treatment several months later as a preventative measure.
While this process is somewhat more involved than a once-off chemical treatment, it’s far more cost effective and safe, providing a healthy and side-effect free solution that will leave your family pet happy and flea-free.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.