Summer is a great time to take your pet out for a walk or hike, but doing so can bring dangerous uninvited guests into your home. Ticks are extremely tenacious ectoparasites that your pet can pick up in regions with tropical or humid weather, typically from playing in long grass of underbrush. Attaching to your pet by inserting sharp, serrated mouth parts under the skin, ticks are able to consume enough blood to cause anemia in your pet.
Some species of ticks can carry dangerous diseases such as lyme diseases, or in some cases even cause paralysis in dogs. Arthritis, swelling, low energy levels and rocky mountain spotted fever are just some of the health complications that can ensue from a tick infestation, so removing these pesky creatures from your living space is extremely important if you’ve observed them in your home.
Traditional tick extermination requires the use of extremely toxic chemical insecticides and often the complete relocation of a family from a home while it is fumigated.
Diatomaceous earth offers a highly effective, fast acting and chemical-free alternative to tick removal that won’t endanger the health of your family or pets. The unique molecular composition of diatomaceous earth binds to the exoskeleton of ticks and draws the lipid oils out of their bodies, fatally dehydrating them through a purely mechanical process that leaves no dangerous residue.
In this article we’ll detail the best method of treating your home for ticks with diatomaceous earth.
Step 1: Clean & Isolate
The first step in removing a tick infestation from your home is to thoroughly clean your entire house. Sweep and mop tiled areas and vacuum carpeted areas, rugs and couches to remove any eggs or larvae. You may want to consider hiring a steam cleaner for this step of the process as the high temperatures used by steam cleaners to clean fabric are great for killing ticks.
Dismantle and move your furniture on a room-by-room basis, paying special attention to nooks, crannies and crevices where ticks may hide. Wash all of the fabric in your home on a high temperature and either dry on a high heat or outside in bright sunlight.
Isolate clean clothing and fabric in airtight containers. Cleaning your home in this manner is essential in removing any eggs that may hatch after the initial cleansing and cause a secondary infestation.
Step 2: Apply Diatomaceous Earth
After your home is clean, apply diatomaceous earth liberally to your entire home. Dust carpet, bedding and rugs with diatomaceous earth, focusing on areas in which ticks may be hiding.
If you have a pet that has been infested with ticks, go over their coat with a fine comb and remove any ticks you may find, making sure you use a removal technique that doesn't leave the head of the tick embedded in their skin. After cleaning your pet, dust them with diatomaceous earth.
Step 3: Clean Diatomaceous Earth
After leaving the diatomaceous earth around your home for five days, it’s time to clean it up. Sweep up diatomaceous earth from tiled or hardwood surfaces. If you’ve dispersed diatomaceous earth over a carpeted area or rug, you’ll want to use a vacuum, but be careful with this method as the fine DE particles may burn out the motor of less powerful home vacuums.
In some cases it’s best to hire a shop vacuum or industrial vacuum. For more information on cleaning up diatomaceous earth check out the relevant article in our knowledge base.
Step 4: Observe & Repeat
This process should destroy any ticks in your home, but it’s best to repeat this process at least once to ensure you’ve removed the tick threat from your home. As a preventative measure, it’s recommended to occasionally dust your pet with DE and repeat this entire process at least once every 3 months.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earth For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.