Millions of people around the world grow flowers at home to improve the scent and visual aesthetic of their gardens, as well as encourage local wildlife to visit their yards. The top five most popular garden flowers are the Iris, Tulip, Lilac, Zinnia and Rose flowers.
These flowers, while beautiful and great-smelling, unfortunately only bloom during late spring. One of the best parts about this time of year is the riot of colors growing in your garden, but sadly it only lasts a few short weeks until summer.
While some flowers may last until the first frosts of winter, there a number of ways to preserve them all year round. Preserved flowers can be used in a variety of applications, from pot pourrie to vase arrangements around the home.
Drying flowers for preservation can be a complicated process, but luckily diatomaceous earth has a number of properties that makes this process simple, easy and economical.
Diatomaceous earth is composed of 85% pure silica, which is a naturally absorbent mineral. This unique and organic substance will draw the moisture out of flowers without damaging their color or appearance.
Drying flowers with DE is chemical free and completely non-toxic. In this article we’ll provide a simple step-by-step process for drying flowers with diatomaceous earth.
What You’ll Need
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
- An Airtight Container
- Sieve or Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Applicator
Step 1: Air-Dry Flowers
To begin the drying process, cut the flowers you would like to preserve and hang them upside down. Flowers should be hung in a dry, shady place safe from wind and rain. After 2-3 days of hanging, the flowers should be dry enough to desiccate with diatomaceous earth.
Step 2: Apply Diatomaceous Earth
Once you’ve air-dried your flowers, you’ll need to prepare your storage container. Place a fine layer of diatomaceous earth on the bottom of the airtight container. Lay the air-dried flowers on top of this DE layer, ensuring the flowers do not touch each other.
Step 3: Seal Container
Before sealing the container, use a sieve or diatomaceous earth sieve applicator to apply a fine layer of DE over the flowers. Seal the container and leave the flowers to dry for 3-4 days.
Step 4: Turn Flowers
You’ll need to rotate the flowers during the drying process for the best result. Reopen the container and delicately turn the drying flowers. Add another layer of diatomaceous earth after turning the flowers and wait a further 3-4 days.
Step 5: Brush Flowers
After 7-8 days, the diatomaceous earth will have completely drawn out the moisture in the flowers without damaging their color or appearance. Open the container and carefully remove the flowers.
Brush the flowers delicately to remove any excess diatomaceous earth and arrange them as desired. Dried flowers will last the entire duration of winter and release their scent throughout the house as they reabsorb moisture from the atmosphere of your home.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earthdiatom For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.