The health benefits of diatomaceous earth for humans are extensive and well known. A little known use for diatomaceous earth, however, is as a health supplement for our canine friends. Many people choose to use DE as an organic and chemical free flea treatment for their pets, but are unaware of the wide range of health benefits that it can offer dogs.
Some of the potential benefits to supplementing your dog’s diet with diatomaceous earth include higher energy levels, better digestive health, improved digestive function and bowel movements, and a shinier, healthier coat.
While the high silica content of DE is what makes it so effective as a flea treatment, silica is also an essential precursor to keratin production in both dogs and humans, providing both with stronger and thicker hair follicles.
The other elements that make up DE such as magnesium and calcium also provide health boosting nutrition, making DE a highly effective food supplement for animals. Getting started with supplementing your dog’s diet with diatomaceous earth is as easy as following these simple steps.
Step 1: Choose the Right Diatomaceous Earth Grade
Diatomaceous earth comes in many different grades and formulation. Some grades of DE, such as pool grade DE or insecticide DE are unsuitable for human or dog consumption and should be avoided for this task. Be sure to use food-grade diatomaceous earth when supplementing your animal’s diet.
Step 2: Determine the Right Dosage
The best dosage of DE for your animal will depend on their size. Puppies and small dogs require only a small amount of DE to gain significant health benefits, with a ½ teaspoon serving per day the ideal serving size. Dogs under 50 pounds only need one teaspoon daily, and dogs between 50 and 100 pounds should take up to 1 full tablespoon of DE daily. Larger dogs will tolerate up to 2 tablespoons daily.
It’s important to note that puppies should only begin consuming DE after they’ve finished nursing and have moved on to solid foods. When introducing DE to your dog’s diet, it’s best to begin with a ¼ dose and move up to a full dosage at ¼ dosage increments over the course of a week while observing their health.
Step 3: Choose the Delivery Method
You’ll need to decide whether you choose to supplement your dog’s diet with diatomaceous earth through either wet or dry food. The best method can vary from animal to animal, so experimenting with different methods will yield the best results.
There are two different ways supplement your dog’s diet with DE with dry food. The simplest method is to determine the amount of servings in each bag of the dry food that you feed your dog, and multiple this number by the relevant daily dose, adding it to the bag.
Shake the bag vigorously to distribute the DE evenly amongst the food. This method will ensure the DE absorbs the scent of the food so your dog will not be able to discern between DE and food and has an added bonus of deterring insects and pests.
The second method of incorporating DE into dry food for dogs is to mix the relevant dose with a ¼ cup of warm water, pouring it over the food after serving. This will prevent the diatomaceous earth powder from making the food appear unpalatable to the dog.
Adding diatomaceous earth to wet food is fast and easy. Simply add the relevant dose and mix, and your dog won’t be able to tell the difference. Supplementing your dog’s diet with diatomaceous earth is simple, easy and cost effective, providing a great way to improve your furry friend’s health with minimal effort.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earth For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.