Millions of people around the world choose to take diatomaceous earth, or DE, as a daily dietary supplement for a wide range of reasons. Many users report health benefits such as increased energy levels, better digestive health, higher metabolic rates, and even healthier skin and nails. One of the most frequently asked questions about this highly versatile substance, however, is “When should I take DE?”
While the answer to the question is not the same for everybody, there are a number of generalized rules that can be applied to supplementing your diet with diatomaceous earth to gain the best effect.
In this article we’ll examine the best time to take diatomaceous earth and how long you should take it for.
What Time of The Day?
The first thing to consider when choosing the best time of the day for you to take diatomaceous earth is the reason you’re supplementing your diet with diatomaceous earth. Some users take diatomaceous earth as a detox supplement, using the abrasive silica particles of DE to clean their digestive systems of built-up toxins and heavy metals.
Other users take diatomaceous earth as a nutritional supplement to enhance their daily silica intake, boosting collagen production to improve hair health or treat hair loss.
If you’re taking diatomaceous earth as a detox supplement, the best time is generally first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. Waiting until the morning to take DE will allow it to work on an empty digestive system free of digested food, making it more effective.
Some users, however, report feelings of lethargy and sluggishness after consuming DE, as the early stages of the detoxification process can often release toxins that are flushed out of the body. These toxins can cause temporary flu-like symptoms, so if this occurs you may want to consider taking DE in the evening and sleeping it off.
As a dietary supplement for increasing your silica intake, diatomaceous earth can be taken at any time. By simply adding diatomaceous earth to a health smoothie or fruit juice it’s possible to dramatically increase your silica intake, which has been demonstrated in multiple clinical trials to have a wide range of health benefits.
Diatomaceous Earth, Meal Schedules & Medication
Another highly important factor to consider when choosing the right time to supplement your diet with diatomaceous earth is whether it could potentially interact with any of the medications you are taking, if any.
It’s best to take diatomaceous earth on an empty stomach, several hours before consuming any other foods, supplements or medications. The highly absorbent properties of DE can cause it to absorb the active ingredients of medication or supplements in the digestive system, so avoid mixing these with DE.
Taking diatomaceous earth ahead of meal times allows the substance to absorb unwanted toxins, pathogens and heavy metals in your digestive system instead of critical nutrients.
Diatomaceous earth is completely tasteless, but many people find its gritty texture unpalatable. Mixing diatomaceous earth with a smoothie, fruit juice, glass of milk or oatmeal will combat this sensation and make it easier to consume.
It’s critically important to consult with your doctor before taking diatomaceous earth if you are currently taking any medication. Diatomaceous earth is completely inert but may significantly reduce the efficacy of any medications taken at the same time, so always check with a medical professional before beginning supplementation.
Long Term Effects of Diatomaceous Earth
Once you’ve decided on the best time of day to supplement your diet with diatomaceous earth, it’s best to make a decision on how long you’ll continue supplementation. Most users of diatomaceous earth recommend a 10 day on, 10 day off cycle for a maximum of ninety days.
The best ratio varies from user to user, and while many diatomaceous earth supporters report significant health improvements from years of continuous use, it’s always best to take breaks to determine if supplementation is right for you
Listen to Your Body
Ultimately, the practice of supplementing the diet with diatomaceous earth is a relatively new practice. The FDA has not as yet expressly condoned the use of DE as a daily dietary supplement, but has classified it as GRAS, or generally regarded as safe.
When using diatomaceous earth as a supplement, pay attention to your body and cease supplementation should you experience any deleterious effects for more than two to three days.
Overall, diatomaceous earth is a powerful substance that has the ability to dramatically improve long term health and digestive function. Feel free to check out our knowledgebase for information on the scientific evidence supporting the use of this versatile supplement, or recipes for incorporating it into your diet.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earth For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.