Diatomaceous earth is composed of the fossilized remains of ancient aquatic plant life called diatoms. Over millions of years, these plant remains are converted into silica through a mineralization process.
The resulting product that is mined from deposits in ancient lake beds, streams, and rivers, is a highly versatile chalky white powder with many different applications.
One of the most effective applications of diatomaceous earth is as a polishing agent, especially for cutlery.
One of the most commonly used polishing agents is ammonia. Sold as cutlery polish, ammonia evaporates quickly and doesn’t leave streaks, making it ideal for removing streaks and stains.
Ammonia, however, is a powerful irritant that can adversely affect the respiratory system and even cause chronic asthma, making it a highly dangerous chemical to keep around your house.
Diatomaceous earth, as opposed to ammonia, is completely inert and chemical-free. DE is composed almost entirely of tiny, abrasive silica particles.
While these microscopic particles aren’t sharp enough to damage the human body, they’re the ideal size for polishing marks and stains away, especially on the reflective metallic surface of cutlery.
In this article, we’ll provide a detailed step-by-step guide on the best natural and organic method of using diatomaceous earth to polish your non-silver cutlery.
What You’ll Need
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
- A Damp Cloth
- White Vinegar
Step 1: Double-Check Your Diatomaceous Earth
The most important step in using diatomaceous earth on any surface that will be used with food is ensuring that you’ve purchased the correct grade of diatomaceous earth. Only food grade diatomaceous earth is suitable for this application.
Never use pool grade diatomaceous earth or pest control grade diatomaceous earth on cutlery.
Step 2: Mix Diatomaceous Earth Polishing Solution
Place ¼ cup diatomaceous earth in a bowl and mix with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar. You may want to add a few drops of lemon essence to leave the cutlery with an appealing scent.
Step 3: Polish Cutlery
Dip the damp cloth into the polishing mixture and apply it to each utensil in a circular motion with a moderate amount of pressure.
Step 4: Rinse And Dry Cutlery
Rinse the diatomaceous earth and vinegar from the cutlery and use a clean, dry towel to remove all traces of moisture.
You may want to consider placing a small container of diatomaceous earth in your cutlery drawer to prevent moisture marks from forming on your cutlery.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earthdiatom For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.