Many people choose to use diatomaceous earth, or DE, as a flea repellent for their feline friends, or as a health supplement to improve their own health. Few are aware, however, that diatomaceous earth can provide just as many health benefits to cats as it does to humans.
There is a growing community of pet owners around the world who are supplementing the diet of their pets with small amounts of diatomaceous earth, reporting improved appetite, metabolism, digestive function and coat health.
Mined from ancient lake beds, DE is a slightly abrasive silicate powder that contains trace amounts of minerals such as calcium, sodium, titanium dioxide, magnesium and more. Used as a feed filler for livestock for decades, the positive health effects of DE in animals is measurable and noticeable.
If you’d like to improve the health of your cat with DE, start with this basic guide on feline DE dietary supplementation.
Step 1: Choose the Right Grade of Diatomaceous Earth
There are many different grades of diatomaceous earth. Some grades are used exclusively for pest control or filtration and are too coarse for digestion in humans or animals, containing an excessive amount of trace elements. It’s important to use food-grade diatomaceous earth when supplementing the diet of your cat, as other grades are unsafe for consumption.
Step 2: Determine the Correct Dosage for Your Cat
The size and weight of your cat plays an important role in determining the correct dosage of DE to supplement their diet with. Small cats and kittens require the least amount of DE to gain health benefits. If your cat is between 2 and 6.5 pounds, adding a ½ teaspoon of DE once daily should be sufficient.
Fully grown cats between 7 and 13 pounds should receive one full teaspoon of DE each day. If your cat is a greedy kitty and has put on a few extra pounds, you may want to consider increasing their dose. Cats larger than 13 pounds are able to tolerate up to 1 ½ teaspoons of DE every day.
As with supplementing your own diet with DE, begin with small amounts and slowly build up, carefully observing the health and behavioral effects on your feline companion. If the cat begins to present any worrisome side effects, discontinue dosage immediately.
It’s advisable to avoid supplementing the diet of kittens and young cats that are still nursing and wait until they are capable of ingesting solid food.
DE can be a nutritious and beneficial addition to the diet of your cat, but ensure you give your cat a one week break every five weeks to allow their system to cleanse and detoxify.
Step 3: Feeding Your Cat Diatomaceous Earth
It’s common knowledge that our feline friends can be picky eaters. Adding DE to wet cat food is relatively simple- just mix in the appropriate dose to your cat’s food before serving. Adding DE to dry cat food can be somewhat more complex, as your cat may decline dry food with a white DE powder garnish.
There are two methods of adding DE to dry cat food. The easiest of the two is to determine the amount of servings in each bag of dry cat food. Multiply the daily dosage of DE relevant to your cat by the amount of servings in the dry food bag, add and then shake vigorously.
The diatomaceous earth will coat the dry food and absorb the food scent overnight, preventing the cat from distinguishing between DE and food.
The second method of adding DE to your cat’s dry food requires a quarter cup of warm water. When serving your cat dry food, mix their dosage of DE with warm water and pour it on top of the dry food.
By experimenting with these different methods, you’ll be able to discover the best way to add DE to your cat’s diet, enhancing their health and overall quality of life.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.