Diatomaceous earth, or DE, has many applications around the house, including use as a natural, chemical free insecticide. Fleas are one of the most common insect pests that can infest a home, brought inside by pets like cats and dogs.
The life cycle of fleas can make them one of the most frustrating parasites to remove from a home as even though you may remove fully grown adult flea, larval stage fleas and flea eggs will contribute to pupate and grow, creating a second wave of pests that re-infest the home.
Diatomaceous earth is a unique insecticide solution in that it doesn’t lose effectiveness over time and is completely non toxic. Most traditional flea extermination treatments involve the use of dangerous chemicals that can present a health risk to pets, small children and family members.
Diatomaceous earth works quickly and effectively by binding to the exoskeletons of fleas and drawing out the lipid oils and water inside, fatally dehydrating the insect.Unlike traditional chemical insecticides, diatomaceous earth works via a purely physical mechanism that fleas can’t develop a resistance to.
Diatomaceous earth is safe to leave around while proceeding with normal family life and will remain effective while it remains in place, meaning any secondary or tertiary waves of fleas hatching from left over eggs are swiftly exterminated.
Getting Started With Diatomaceous Earth Flea Removal Is as Easy.
Following This Simple Four Step Process:
Step 1: Clean, Isolate & Identify
The first step from naturally removing fleas from your home with no chemicals or poisons is to thoroughly clean your home. Dismantle furniture, move appliances away from walls and thoroughly clean, sweep, vacuum and steam clean all of the surfaces in your home. As you proceed, mark any areas in which you observe fleas with post-it notes. Once you’ve cleaned your home, close off any escape routes by blocking doors and windows to let the cleansing begin.
Step 2: Apply Diatomaceous Earth
After cleaning your entire home, the next step is to distribute diatomaceous earth throughout your living space. Pay special attention to the areas that you marked previously with post-it notes and be sure to work diatomaceous earth into bedding, couches, cushions and rugs with your hands. If you own a pet, be sure to dust your animal with diatomaceous earth, as well as apply DE liberally to their bedding.
You may want to consider using a diatomaceous earth applicator for this process to ensure an even coating. Although diatomaceous earth is non toxic and inert, be sure to gear up with safety goggles, gloves and a dust mask, as it can irritate the eyes and sinuses.
Step 3: Wash & Clean
Once you’ve applied diatomaceous earth to your entire home, wait 4-5 days for it to take effect. You’ll want to wait at least four days to ensure any secondary or tertiary waves of fleas that hatch from gestating eggs are also destroyed. After this period has ended, repeat the cleaning process from step one, gathering up eggs, larvae, pupae and dead fleas suspended in diatomaceous earth.
You may want to consider hiring a shop vac or industrial vacuum for this cleanup stage, as diatomaceous earth can be hard on some weaker home vacuum motors, potentially burning them out.
Step 4: Observe, Repeat & Prevent
This process should take a maximum of five days from start to finish. Once you’ve completed the above steps, keep a watchful eye on your living space, pets and family members for any sign of reinfestation.
If you notice a resurgence in flea activity, repeat the entire process until the fleas are completely annihilated. As a preventative measure, it’s good to distribute diatomaceous earth around the entrances and exits to your home, as well as regularly dusting your pet with diatomaceous earth.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.