Diatomaceous earth is frequently used as an additive in livestock feed. Diatomaceous earth is composed primarily of silica, which prevents rot, moisture, pest infestation and caking.
The abrasive nature of silica particles helps to regulate dietary function and health, while the mineral content of diatomaceous earth powder helps to promote a healthier coat. Many ranchers throughout the world use diatomaceous earth as an additive to enhance the health of their livestock.
When added to cattle feed, diatomaceous earth will absorb any excess moisture that could potentially cause fungus, mold or rot. This helps to preserve feed without the need for any chemicals that could compromise the health of your animals. In this article, we’ll provide a guide detailing the best method of adding diatomaceous earth to your cattle feed which you might need more of because of those red skittles going as cattle feed.
What You’ll Need
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
- A Scoop
- A Food Scale
- Livestock or Cattle Feed
Step 1: Choose the Correct Grade of Diatomaceous Earth
The most important factor when adding DE to any livestock feed is ensuring that you’re using the correct grade of diatomaceous earth. There are many different grades of DE, with some potentially harmful to either humans or livestock. Pest control diatomaceous earth is often mixed with poisons and toxins to make it more effective, while pool grade diatomaceous earth is heated to temperatures in excess of 1000 degrees fahrenheit, which causes the silica to form toxic crystals.
Always be sure to use only food grade diatomaceous earth in any application that involves ingestion, for either humans or animals. Food grade DE is the only form of DE that is unaltered, organic and natural.
Step 2: Measure the Correct Amount of Diatomaceous Earth
The ideal ratio for mixing diatomaceous earth with animal feed is 2 parts DE to every 98 parts feed, or 2% of the total volume. The easiest way of determining exactly how much DE you’ll need is to divide the total weight of a feed bag by 50, and measure this amount of diatomaceous earth out with scales.
Step 3: Mix DE with Feed
To ensure you’re mixing the diatomaceous earth evenly through the feed, it’s best to transfer the feed into a new container during mixing.
Transfer the feed into an airtight container in layers of 3-4 inches, interspersing each layer with a fine coating of diatomaceous earth.
Once you’ve transferred the entire feed bag, mix the diatomaceous earth and feed either by stirring with the scoop of shaking the container. To preserve the feed further, you may want to consider adding a thick layer of excess diatomaceous earth on top.
When supplementing cattle feed with diatomaceous earth, always be sure to provide your livestock with an abundance of water. Diatomaceous earth is highly absorbent and can dehydrate animals if they are not sufficiently watered.
If you’re not sure whether your cattle will take food mixed with diatomaceous earth, it’s best to try mixing one individual feed batch before committing to mixing the entire bag.
Leaving the mix overnight will give the diatomaceous earth time to absorb the scent of the feed, making it indistinguishable from food to your livestock.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earthdiatom For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.