There are many different uses for diatomaceous earth, or DE, ranging from insecticide to dietary supplement. While diatomaceous earth is generally completely safe and non-toxic, it’s important to remain informed about the various different classifications of this unique substance.
Some are completely harmless, such as food grade DE, while others can be dangerous if not handled correctly, such as pool grade diatomaceous earth.
There are many different grades of diatomaceous earth, but most are used only in niche industrial applications that most people will never encounter. The three primary grades of diatomaceous earth are food grade, pest control grade, and pool grade.
It’s extremely important to check the label of the diatomaceous earth you’ve ordered before use. In this article we’ll provide a breakdown of the three primary grades of diatomaceous earth, how they differ, and explain their applications.
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Food grade diatomaceous earth is the most commonly used form of DE. Food grade DE is mined from mineral deposits, crushed into a fine white powder, and otherwise left untreated. Other forms of DE undergo various chemical or heating process to change their molecular structure, whereas food grade diatomaceous earth is essentially unaltered.
Food grade diatomaceous earth has been classified as GRAS by the FDA, or generally regarded as safe. This classification does not expressly endorse the use of food grade diatomaceous earth as safe to consume as a dietary supplement, but classifies it as safe for use with food and beverage products.
Part of the reason for this is the lack of scientific inquiry into the health benefits of diatomaceous earth. At least one study, however, has conclusively proven the ability of food grade diatomaceous earth to lower blood cholesterol levels.
Pest Control Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Pest control grade diatomaceous earth is similar to food grade diatomaceous earth in that it hasn’t undergone any treatments after being mined from mineral deposits. While pest control grade diatomaceous earth is essentially the same thing as food grade diatomaceous earth, you should never use it in any application that involves consumption or application on the human body.
Some companies mix diatomaceous earth with toxins, poisons, or pesticides to increase the efficacy of their product, so be sure to always keep pest control grade diatomaceous earth separate from food grade DE.
Note that food grade DE can be used as a replacement for pest control grade DE, so if you can’t decide which one to purchase, it’s best to choose food grade DE.
Pool Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Pool grade diatomaceous earth is very different from the other two grades of DE, and is far more dangerous. Pool grade DE is diatomaceous earth that has been subjected to temperatures in excess of 1000 degrees celsius after mining, which causes the silica content to crystallize.
Crystallized silica is an extremely efficient pool filter but is toxic and hazardous if inhaled, so always store pool grade diatomaceous earth separate from the home in a clearly labeled container.
When purchasing diatomaceous earth, it’s a good rule to carefully research the brand you’re buying from and stick to the same brand thereafter.
Diatomaceous earth is a highly versatile product that can replace many of the chemicals and toxins in your home, but always remember to keep the different grades in mind and only use food grade diatomaceous earth in any application involving consumption or topical use.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earthdiatom For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.