Many gardeners choose to keep their gardens protected from common garden pests with powerful insecticides or pesticides.
While these treatments are effective in destroying most pests and insects, they present a number of health risks to both animals and humans.
Millions of people around the world are turning to chemical free solutions that protect gardens and vegetation without the need for toxic pesticide chemicals.
Most of the chemical pesticide solutions commonly used contained organophosphates such as disulfoton. These substances are esters of phosphoric acid and are extremely lethal nerve agents, permanently and fatally inhibiting critical neurotransmitters in the body.
While these garden pest control chemicals may seem innocuous, organophosphates have traditionally been used as chemical warfare agents like Sarin and VX nerve agents.
Many homeowners are unaware of this fact, frequently using nerve agents to combat insect pests in their gardens and even applying them to their pets to treat fleas or ticks.
In this article we’ll outline some of the most commonly used pest control agents that present the highest risk factor to your canine friends, and provide some natural, healthy alternatives.
Slug Bait Poisoning Risks
Slug pellets are a leading cause of lethal poisoning in dogs. Slug bait uses a chemical called metaldehyde, which is commonly used as solid fuel in camping lamps.
While metaldehyde is a molluscicide, effectively destroying garden snails and slugs, it has the same toxicity profile as acetaldehyde, which is rated as a group 1 carcinogen.
If ingested by dogs or cats, metaldehyde will cause drooling and tremors, followed by restlessness, seizures and death.
metaldehyde bait is highly palatable to dogs, and is addictive, causing curious dogs to ingest slug bait pellets, consume large amounts, and subsequently die. If you have a pet dog and are suffering from a slug infestation in your garden, it’s highly dangerous to use metaldehyde slug bait.
Instead of using slug bait or metaldehyde in your garden, it’s possible to quickly and effectively eliminate slugs in completely natural manner.
Diatomaceous earth is an effective, fast acting slug control substance that will destroy slugs while presenting no risk to dogs or children.
For detailed information on using diatomaceous earth to prevent slugs from infesting your garden, take a look at our article on Natural Slug Control With Diatomaceous Earth.
Organophosphate Poisoning Risks
Organophosphates are the most common form of sprayable garden insecticides and pesticides.
Classified as a nerve agent, these powerful toxins are used by gardeners to deter pests such as aphids, caterpillars and other insects that devour vegetable matter.
These treatments are sprayed over vegetation that is commonly consumed by dogs, or when dogs are exposed to areas that have been treated with organophosphates.
Organophosphates are able to poison dogs through the skin, lungs, or the digestive tract. These dangerous chemicals affect the ability of the body to transmit nerve impulses, resulting in difficulty breathing, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, urination, shaking, seizures, and death.
The best way of preventing this from occurring to your dog is by avoiding the use of any pesticide that uses organophosphates to eliminate pests.
Diatomaceous earth is the best alternative for these potent toxins. Effective at eliminating all kinds of crawling insects from a garden while completely food safe for both humans and animals, diatomaceous earth destroys insects through a unique mechanism.
When insects are exposed to diatomaceous earth, the fine silica particles that compose the powder will abrade away their exoskeleton and draw out the moisture inside their bodies, fatally dehydrating them through a chemical-free and organic process.
Diatomaceous earth is so safe that many pet owners actually use it as a food additive to enhance the health of their animals while preventing pests.
For more information on using diatomaceous earth as an alternative to organophosphates, see our article on Natural Aphid Control With Diatomaceous Earth.
Natural Pesticides As An Alternative To Pesticides
Outside of the above alternatives, there is a wide range of natural and organic solutions to keep pests out of your garden without the need for powerful chemicals. Essential oils and coffee grounds can deter pests from entering your garden just as effectively.
Ultimately, by avoiding dangerous chemical poison insecticides and pesticides, you’re not only creating a safer space for your dog but preventing the risk of disease or illness for both yourself and your family.
Diatomaceous Earth Information Guide:
We have a wide variety of food grade diatomaceous earth resources for you look through to make your life a little easier and chemical-free. Please check out the other valuable resources and versatile application uses for silica-rich diatomaceous earth below:
- Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation
- Truth About D.E. Food Grade Silica Supplements
- Diatomaceous Clean Up Tips
- Diatomaceous For Hair Loss
- Diatomaceous Safety Risks
- What Is Diatomaceous Earth?
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Control
- Diatomaceous Fleas Removal
- Diatomaceous For Chicken Mites
- Diatomaceous Toothpaste Enhancement
- Diatomaceous Environmental Uses
- Diatomaceous Bed Bug Removal
- Diatomaceous Dog Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
- Diatomaceous Cat Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rodent Deterrent
- Diatomaceous Health Safety Risk Warnings
- Diatomaceous Human Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Cat Flea Treatment
- Diatomaceous Application Tips
- Diatomaceous Beginner's Guide
- Diatomaceous Weight Loss Detox
- Diatomaceous Dog Health Benefits
- Diatomaceous Rapid Roach Removal
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Removal
- Diatomaceous And Bentonite Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth For Hair, Skin & Nails
- Diatomaceous Organic Exfoliation Skincare
- Diatomaceous Nutritional Smoothie Enhancer
- Diatomaceous Natural Ant Hill Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Tick Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Organic Scorpion Killer
- Diatomaceous Earth, Honey, Coconut Oil Cocktail
- Diatomaceous Earth Safety Precautions
- Natural Diatomaceous Home Spider Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous For Home Gnats Removal
- How To Use Diatomaceous Earth Powder
- Diatomaceous Natural Flea Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Home Bugs & Insects Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth Food Storage Tips
- Where To Find Diatomaceous Earth Online
- Diatomaceous Natural Kitty Litter Odor Control
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Versus Regular D.E.?
- Diatomaceous Organic Fly Repellent
- Diatomaceous Dog Ticks Treatment
- Diatomaceous Carpet Deodorizing Treatment
- Diatomaceous Wasps Hornets Treatment
- Diatomaceous Earth Natural Deodorant
- Diatomaceous Earth Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Diatomaceous Home Termite Removal Treatment
- Diatomaceous Natural Aphid Control
- Diatomaceous Natural Cleaning Products
- Diatomaceous Natural Slug Control
- Diatomaceous Organic Feline Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Organic Backyard Tick Control
- Diatomaceous Earth Ant Trail Preventing Tips
- Diatomaceous Chemical Free Home Cleaning Tips
- Best Time Of The Day To Use/Take Food Grade Diatomaceous
- Diatomaceous Gilmour Duster
- Diatomaceous Horse Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth In Homemade Essential Oil Soaps
- Diatomaceous Earth Home Use Tips
- Diatomaceous Hog Pig Feed Benefits
- Diatomaceous Essential Oil Aromatherapy
- Diatomaceous Chicken & Turkey Feed Additive Benefits
- Silica Supplements Guide
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Hair
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Skincare Health
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Nails
- Silica Mineral Benefits For Teeth & Gum Health
- Silica Water
- Bamboo Extract
- Orthosilicic Acid (Organic Silica)
- Diatomaceous Earth DIY Bath Bombs
- Diatomaceous Earth Squeeze Duster
- Diatomaceous Earth All Purpose Cleaner
- Diatomaceous Earth Drying Flowers
- Diatomaceous Earth Pumpkin Preservation
- Diatomaceous Earth Homemade Body Butter Bars
- Diatomaceous Earth For Cleaning Grease & Oil Spills
- Diatomaceous Earth Bee Care Without Harming
- Diatomaceous Earth Cattle Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Winter Garden Preparation
- Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Hotel Traveling Tips
- Diatomaceous Earthdiatom For Snakes & Slugs Defense
- Diatomaceous Earth For Polishing Copper Pots & Pans
- Diatomaceous Earth Silverware Tarnishing Protection
- Diatomaceous Earth Elk Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Geese Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Bison Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Sheep Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth Duck Feed Additive Benefits
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Shoes
- Diatomaceous Earth For Deodorizing Your Trash Can
- Going Green With Diatomaceous Earth
Please reach out regarding any information above. In the future, more share-worthy useful enhancements, experiences and effects of diatomaceous earth will be added as the benefits continue to pile up. Always welcome for more insight and awareness, click the button to see the most recommended beautifully blended product that combines both high quality food grade diatomaceous earth powder and pure organic silica together in one formula.