Hibiscus Macranthus can be defined as an herb that comes from the genus of plants called Hibiscus and the Malvaceae family. The species of the plant is what is referred to as Macranthus.
It is native to West-Central Africa, particularly the country of Cameroon. It was traditionally used to boost male fertility, to regularize women’s menstrual cycle, and to address infertility problems. Hibiscus Macranthus is essentially a supplemental herb which is derived from the calyces of the plant, i.e. the collection of sepals that separate the stem from the flower.
The plant extract is commonly used to help boost testosterone production and virility. Other common names that Hibiscus Macranthus may be known by include Karkade, Red Tea, Red Sorrel, Jamaica Sorrel, Rosella, Soborodo (Zobo drink), Sour Tea, Red Tea, Roselle, Krachiap daeng, Isakpa, and Karkadi. The parts of the plant that are mostly used for medicinal purposes are fresh and dried epicalyces and calyces.
Hibiscus Macranthus Composition
Hibiscus Macranthus contains the following compounds in varying quantities in its aqueous extracts, especially in the teas made from it:
- Hibiscus Acid hydroxyethylester
- Anthocyanin Delphinidin as 3-Glucoside and glycosides 3-O-Sambubioside (32.4mg/g aqueous extract)
- Myricetin (as 3-arabinogalactose)
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E from the seeds
- Stearic, linoleic, oleic, and palmitic (common dietary fatty acids)
- Methyl Digallate
- Chlorogenic Acid
- Dihydrosterculic and Vernolic acid
- Coumarolyquinic acid, Hydroxycitric acid, and 5-O-Caffeoylshikimic acid
Uses And Benefits
Hibiscus Macranthus has been known to have numerous medicinal uses and benefits. Some of the notable ones include the following:
• It reduces blood pressure in people that have been diagnosed with elevated blood pressure. It is therefore an ideal treatment for adults that are pre-hypertensive and those that are mildly hypertensive.
• It helps to relieve skin conditions such as allergic eczemas.
• It has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This helps to protect the consumer from contracting flu and cold. It also eliminates discomfort associated with fever through its cooling effect.
• It has anti-oxidant properties.
• It has positive effects on lipid metabolism and therefore acts as anti-cholesterol. It decreases the levels of LDL cholesterol, which is the bad cholesterol. This functions to protect blood vessels from damage and offers protection against heart disease.
• It is an anti-diabetic and therefore effectively used in the treatment of individuals diagnosed with diabetes to reduce blood sugar levels. This is mainly attributed to its hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic properties.
• It is good for stimulating intestinal peristalsis. It is therefore good for tacking indigestion and constipation problems.
• It is applied in the treatment of nerve and cardiac diseases.
• It is used in the treatment of coughs, hiccups, and sore throats.
• It is used for treating genital problems.
• It relieves pain associated with urination.
• It can help in the treatment of liver disorders because of its anti-oxidant properties. The anti-oxidants protect the body of the consumer from diseases as they neutralize free radicals that are present in the body cells and tissues. Hibiscus Macranthus therefore increases the lifespan and promotes the good overall health of many body organ systems.
• It has been used in the treatment of cancers. This is because Hibiscus Macranthus has antioxidant and anti-tumor properties. It works by slowing down the growth rate of cancerous cells through the induction of apoptosis (programmed cell death). The most notable cancer that it reduces is colorectal cancer.
• It improves blood circulation.
• It has chemopreventative effects.
• It prevents the formation of renal stones.
• It helps in cell division and expansion.
• Hibiscus Macranthus generally boosts the immune system of the body.
• It is effective in reducing menstrual pain and the cramps associated with it. Furthermore, it restores the hormonal balance that decreases symptoms of menstruation such as overeating, depression, and mood swings.
• It has antidepressant properties. It has minerals and vitamins that possess antidepressant properties. It is therefore good for calming down the nervous system, depression, and anxiety reduction. It achieves this by creating a relaxed sensation in both the mind and the body.
• It increases urination because of its diuretic properties.
• It functions to cool down the body at a very fast rate and to flush out excess toxins and fluids from the body of the consumer. This is facilitated by its diuretic properties.
• It helps in achieving healthy and gradual weight loss. This is because it lowers starch and glucose absorption that are responsible for weight gain. In addition, it actively inhibits amylase production and since amylase aids in the absorption of starch and carbohydrates, it helps with weight loss.
• Hibiscus Macranthus, especially in the form of tea, contains 15% – 30% of organic acids such as citric acid, tartaric acid, and malic acid. These help to promote better skin, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, improve digestive issues, manage inflammation, and boost immunity.
• It increases stamina.
• It increases the levels of testosterone hormone.
Risks And Side Effects
The use of Hibiscus Macranthus has some risks and side effects associated with it, and some of the notable ones are listed below:
- It may result in hallucinations when consumed over a long period of time. Consumers should first observe the reactions they experience because of Hibiscus Macranthus. Those who experience hallucinations should avoid driving and operating dangerous machinery.
- It lowers blood pressure because of its anti-hypertensive property. This is the main reason why it is never recommended for persons that have been diagnosed with hypo-tension, as it may damage their brain and heart and even give them a feeling of dizziness.
- It has emmenagogue effects that may result in the stimulation of blood flow or menstruation in the pelvic region or uterus of pregnant women.
- It may cause allergic reactions such as sinus, hay fever, and itchy red eyes that all lead to discomfort. These allergic reactions only develop in a few people.
- It also has certain uncomfortable reactions in the stomach such as vomiting, stomach ache, and diarrhea. However, it should be noted that these are some common reactions for persons who are accustomed to taking herbal medication like Hibiscus Macranthus and is regarded as a cleanser effect.
- It can impair concentration and focus.
Top Hibiscus Macranthus Products
Hibiscus Macranthus has a number of products in the supplement market that consumers can enjoy, and the top products include the ones listed below:
Roselle Tea (20 TEA BAGS)
This product is made from the flower petals of Sabdariffa. It has a lovely sour tea and is rich red in color along with numerous health benefits. It is manufactured by La Vita Living Products. It is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants that serve to boost the immune system, protect against colds and coughs, and reduce high blood pressure. It is also effective in achieving weight loss. This product is completely caffeine free.
This product is available in packets with 10 bags, 20 bags, 50 bags, and 100 bags. It has a fragrant aroma, red brown color, and a citrusy flavor. It has vitamin C and is packed with natural health benefits. It is manufactured by The Natural Health Market.
Roselle Tea (25 Tea Bags)
It is rich in mineral salts, acetic acid, and vitamin C. It is effective in improving urinary excretion. It also helps in the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension). This product is extracted from 1005 dried calyx of the Hibiscus Macranthus plant. It has a bright red color and a natural sour taste. It is manufactured and distributed by T. Thai Tea.
Hibiscus Spice Tea
This product is manufactured by Ten Ren Tea Inc. It is a delicate blend of Sweet Chrysanthemum, Black tea, and Hibiscus flowers. It is characterized by a reddish-brown hue and a natural lemony sweet taste. It can be served cold or hot. It is available in boxes that each contain 20 bags.
Roselle Tea Hibiscus Sabdariffa Tea (40 Teabags)
This herbal product is manufactured by Thanyaporn Herbs Thailand. It evacuates calculus and urine and expels phlegm. It is sold in 2 resealable packets, with each pack containing 20 tea bags.
Roselle Flower Tea (80gm)
This product is enriched with vitamin C. It helps in keeping the body fit, improves digestion, reduces cholesterol, prevents certain forms of cancer, prevents heart related diseases, helps with weight loss, and helps in skin whitening. It is manufactured by Lazada.
Hibiscus Macranthus Tea
This product is manufactured by the Australian Tea House (ATH). The only ingredient is organic hibiscus flowers. It provides support to the cardiovascular system and it lowers blood pressure. It contains antioxidants that have a myriad of health benefits to consumers. It is available in 20 tea bag packets.
The top products of Hibiscus Macranthus are mainly in the form of tea supplements as seen above. Tea is a convenient way to administer the supplement so as to benefit from its numerous benefits.
Hibiscus Macranthus Review Summary
The above insightful information clearly indicates all the benefits, risks, and side effects of Hibiscus Macranthus. It is evident that the health benefits of this herb outweigh the risks and side effects associated with it for most users.
Try some of the top products of the herb to enjoy the health benefits associated with them.