Vitamin C is one of the most nutritional vitamins that are necessary for good health. Also known as ascorbic acid, Vitamin C is involved in the growth, development, and repair of bodily tissue.
Having sufficient levels of this antioxidant is important for a healthy immune system, absorption of iron, and is involved in many other bodily functions.
Some consumers take a multivitamin that contains the recommended dosage of this important vitamin, or will buy a Vitamin C supplement in varying strengths.
The cold and flu season sees sales skyrocket as Vitamin C has always been a go-to when you’ve got the flu or are suffering from the common cold.
There have recently been even more scientific studies that conclude that Vitamin C is truly one of the most important vitamins that your body needs for overall health.
However, there are numerous products that line the shelves of the neighborhood pharmacy, and trying to decide what will work best can be frustrating.
Today, we’re going to give you some pointers about how to choose the best Vitamin C products.
Better Health with Higher Levels of Vitamin C?
Having higher levels of Vitamin C in the bloodstream has been proven to promote better overall health. There are numerous benefits from sufficient Vitamin C that include the following:
- May benefit individuals with weakened immune systems due to stress and the production of cortisol.
- Contrary to popular belief, Vitamin C cannot prevent a cold and it might not cure it, but it will help to stop any complications such as pneumonia or lung infections.
- Studies have shown that those individuals with higher levels of Vitamin C in the blood had 43% less chance of having a stroke.
- Because Vitamin C affects cells both inside and outside the body, proper levels are needed for better-looking skin. Sufficient levels may lead to less wrinkling of the skin and may improve hydration.
- Thought to improve macular degeneration, vitamin C plays a vital role in tissue regeneration that can have ophthalmic benefits.
- Vitamin C has high anti-inflammatory properties that combat inflammation, which is a contributing factor to many health problems, including acne, rosacea, and arthritis.
- May reduce the chances of cancer and cardiovascular disease. Vitamin C has a direct effect on the immune system that is important to fighting free radicals in the cancerous cells.
It may also be linked to a better metabolic rate as it relates to heart diseases.
Doctors and nutritionists recommend that whenever possible, vitamins, minerals, and other key nutrients should be obtained from their most natural state, fruits and vegetables. Increasing the number of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet is the easiest, most affordable, and healthiest way to ensure that you are maintaining proper levels of Vitamin C.
In addition to providing Vitamin C, incorporating more raw food into your diet will also keep all your other vitamins and minerals at optimum levels.
Fresh fruits and vegetables will also provide fiber and phytochemicals that are necessary for disease prevention and better overall health.
Some foods that are high in Vitamin C:
How to Easily Increase Vitamin C Intake
- Red peppers
- Green peppers
- Brussels Sprouts
Adults that consume at least 7-9 servings of fresh fruit and vegetables do not normally require any additional Vitamin C.
However, only about 20% of Americans eat the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables.
This leaves a big gap between what our bodies need and what we’re actually getting from our fast-food diets.
Adding a Vitamin C supplement is an alternative for those that don’t always eat like they should due to stressful jobs and busy lives.
There are several varieties of supplements that supply Vitamin C, so the choices can be confusing. We’ve comprised a short list of some of the most popular brands that have very good customer ratings:
Should Everyone Take A Vitamin C Supplement?
- Viva Naturals Premium Non-GMO Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids and Rose Hips
- Vitafusion Power C, Gummy Vitamins For Adults
- C-Salts GMO-free Buffered Vitamin C Powder
- Doctor’s Best Vitamin C
That is just a small sampling of the different types of Vitamin C supplements and their various formulations. Doing research before buying any supplement is always recommended.
Vitamin C Supplement Review Summary
Vitamin C is a vital component in healthy skin and can be beneficial when derived from natural food sources or from a daily supplement.
However, there is a new trend in the health and beauty market to incorporate Vitamin C directly into cleansers, lotions, serums, and facial masks.
The anti-inflammatory benefits of Vitamin C make it an excellent choice for topical solutions that are applied directly to the skin.
There are a variety of formulas that are marketed for anti-aging or improved collagen production.
Many health and beauty retailers are offering everything from cleansers to essential oils that have the natural health benefits of Vitamin C.
Many times in life when people are faced with a problem, they have very limited choices in the remedies available to them.
Thankfully, when deciding to add more Vitamin C to your diet or beauty routine, there are a number of ways to accomplish the goal.
Adding more fresh fruits and vegetables is the most natural way to obtain higher blood levels of Vitamin C.
When food alone isn’t enough, there are a variety of supplements with varying strengths formulated in powder, pills, capsule, and liquid form.
Consumers that are looking to boost their beauty routine are turning to anti-aging products that have Vitamin C as a key ingredient.
There are many brands that carry a line of serums, oils, or moisturizers that all contain some variety of Vitamin C.
It’s a good idea when looking for the best Vitamin C products to simply do a little homework. Many supplement and skincare products are sold through popular online retailers and that might be the easiest way to comparison shop before you decide.