MyFitnessPal is a fitness platform that promises to support your healthy diet and exercise routine. Here’s our review of MyFitnessPal.
What is MyFitnessPal?
MyFitnessPal is a weight loss and nutrition tracking platform that has become one of the most popular fitness tracking apps in the mobile world. Many people have credited MyFitnessPal with helping them lose weight, cut calories, and live a healthier lifestyle.
As you probably already know, weight loss isn’t just about exercising: if you don’t consume fewer calories then you’re spending, then you’re never going to lose weight. With that in mind, MyFitnessPal promises to help you track your fitness goals and your diet goals at the same time, boosting the effectiveness of your weight loss routine.
The core feature of MyFitnessPal is a food journal. As the official MyFitnessPal website explains,
“Medical studies show that keeping a food journal doubles your weight loss!”
Using MyFitnessPal, you can easily log whatever food you just ate. You open the app, then quickly add and log recipes from across the internet. The app promises to be easy and fast while offering free signups “with no strings attached”. You can add everything from a McDonald’s McFlurry to mixed drinks you ordered at the bar last night.
How Does MyFitnessPal Work?
You don’t have to look far online to find people who credit MFP for helping them achieve their weight loss goals.
Are you one of those people who feels like they’ve been eating healthy and dieting for a long time – but have never actually lost much weight? MyFitnessPal is for you. With MyFitnessPal, you can see how many calories you’re really eating on a daily basis. It makes counting calories easy, intuitive, and fun.
You don’t have to look up individual nutritional information for the recipes you’re making. Instead, the massive MyFitnessPal has virtually everything you need to track your diet and nutritional information over time.
One of the cool parts about MyFitnessPal is that it doesn’t just track the meals you eat at home, and it doesn’t just tell you how many calories were in that apple you just ate. The app has an enormous database of fast food restaurants, chain restaurants, alcohols, mixed drinks, and other foods that “real people” eat and consume on a daily basis.
So if you just ate a Big Mac and chased it with a rum and coke, then you can track all of that calorie data accurately using MyFitnessPal.
In addition to calorie tracking, MyFitnessPal has a diverse range of features that make it one of the most popular fitness tracking apps on the market today. Over time, the app has expanded to offer step tracking, for example, which lets you easily consolidate all of your nutritional information in one easy-to-access spot.
MyFitnessPal is a free app that comes with all of the following features:
- Calorie Counter: In addition to fitness tracking, this is the core feature of MyFitnessPal. This is essentially an online diary that lets you track everything you ate throughout the day – whether it was the steak special at Applebee’s or the 6 screwdrivers you drank at the bar last night. The app automatically stores everything you consumed – as long as you’re honest, the app will give you honest feedback. In total, there are 3.3 million different kinds of foods and beverages to choose from in the MyFitnessPal library.
- Exercise Tracker: MyFitnessPal isn’t just good at tracking food: it’s also good at tracking exercises. The app features an online diary of over 350 exercises, letting you keep track of how many calories you burned during each activity. Your calorie burning is customized based on your height, weight, and gender. Most cardio and strength training workouts are included in this library, as well as yoga and pilates.
- Community: MyFitnessPal has an active community of fitness enthusiasts. You’ll find other users of the platform sharing tips and tricks about diet and exercise.
MyFitnessPal is a free app, and the vast majority of users use the app for free. However, there is a premium version of MyFitnessPal. That premium version comes with the following features:
- Ad-Free Experience: You won’t see any more ads in the app.
- VIP Customer Support: Jump to the front of the line when you need to contact the My Fitness Pal customer support hotline.
- Premium Content: MyFitnessPal's premium subscribers get access to exclusive dietitian-approved recipes from MyFitnessPal, including meal plans and nutrition tips created by the company’s in-house nutrition and coaching team.
The premium plan is available for $9.99 per month or $49.99 per year.
MyFitnessPal was founded in 2005 by Albert Lee and Mike Lee. The company was acquired by Under Armour in 2015. After acquiring the company, Under Armour added MyFitnessPal to its Under Armour Connected Fitness system.
To contact MyFitnessPal, view contact information at this page.
You can download MyFitnessPal for free for iOS here or for Android here.