Dronabinol can be described as a synthetic compound, which contains the cannabinoids present in the marijuana plant. It contains tetrahydrocannabinol in standardized compounds.
It should be noted that the other compounds that are found in street marijuana are not found in Dronabinol. It is available in the market in brand names such as Marinol. Patients require a prescription in order to buy Dronabinol.
It is the active ingredient found in the Dronabinol capsules. It is a cannabinoid that is orally active and has some complex effects on the user’s central nervous system. Dronabinol capsules supplied for oral administration are normally in soft gelatin capsules that are round in shape.
Mechanism Of Action
Dronabinol’s exact mechanism of action is yet to be completely understood. However, it is believed that the cannabinoid receptors found in the neural tissues might mediate Dronabinol’s effects as well as those of other cannabinoids. The antiemetic effects of Dronabinol are believed to be caused by the inhibition of the vomiting control mechanism in the medulla oblongata.
Benefits of Using Dronabinol
Dronabinol has several medical benefits to consumers. The main ones include the following:
- It is widely utilized in the treatment of anorexia that is associated with weight loss for people who have been diagnosed with Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS).
- It is used in the treatment of vomiting that is associated with patients of cancer chemotherapy who have not adequately responded to the conventional antiemetic treatments.
- It is used in the treatment of nausea that is associated with patients of cancer chemotherapy who have not adequately responded to the conventional antiemetic treatments.
- Dronabinol is good for appetite stimulation in patients of the deadly HIV infection.
- It demonstrates reversible effects on perception, memory, cognition, mood, and appetite. These effects appear to be related to the dosage administered. This is because they increase in frequency with greater dosages but are subject to interpatient variability.
- It can also be used to manage pain. Dronabinol has been proven to successfully decrease sensitivity to pain and increase pain tolerance. This is the latest discovery among the benefits that Dronabinol offers.
Dronabinol might not be safe for people who have the following conditions:
- People who are allergic to any medication
- Patients who have been diagnosed with psychosis, mental illness, or depression
- People suffering from drug addiction or alcoholism
- Patients who have been diagnosed with heart problems, low blood pressure, high blood pressure, fast heartbeats, and fainting spells
It may interact with medications such as theophylline, muscle relaxants, disulfiram, cocaine, tranquilizers, antidepressants, antihistamines, barbiturates, amphetamine, or drinks and medicines that contain alcohol.
Some side effects are associated with the use of Dronabinol. The most common ones include the following:
- Feeling Of Weakness
- Rapid Heartbeat
- Facial Flushing
- Abnormal Thinking
- Paranoid Reactions
- Feelings Of Euphoria
- Dizziness Or Lightheadedness
The above list of side effects is not exhaustive as others might occur. The side effects should be reported to a qualified doctor immediately.
There are certain side effects that are less common but still associated with Dronabinol. These are as follows:
- Tinnitus (Ringing In The Ears)
- Speech Problems
- Muscle Pain
- Fecal Incontinence
- Diarrhea Because Of Stomach Upsets
- Eye Problems
- Low Blood Pressure
The above side effects can occur because Dronabinol is known to activate cannabinoid receptors in order to result in an array of effects in the user’s brain.
The medication should be administered via the oral route. The dosage varies depending on the use. For example, people taking Dronabinol to control vomiting and nausea should do so four to six times daily. People taking it for loss of appetite should do so twice daily. Despite the fact that the drug assists people, there is a risk of it causing addiction, especially for people who are addicted to alcohol or drugs.
Patients should strictly follow the directions indicated on the prescription label. The doses should be taken at regular intervals and should never be exceeded as it is unsafe. Oral Dronabinol is available in 2.5mg, 5mg, and 10mg capsules. These capsules should be stored in a cool place but should not be frozen.
Dronabinol Review Summary
Dronabinol got FDA approval in May 1985, and is therefore safe for use. It has numerous medical benefits as indicated in the insightful information above. Dronabinol should not be compared to the marijuana found on the street as they do not contain similar compounds.