Most food industries have use probiotics and synbiotics as a form of food supplements to help in maintaining a balanced diet and keeping a healthy digestive system. A great record of success has been seen in the past years in the food industry.
While some bacteria are known to be invasive in the digestive system, there are other bacteria known to be useful. Normally, antibiotics are taken to destroy harmful bacteria and antibacterial products such as soap are used to prevent you from getting bacterial infections. On the other hand, probiotic bacteria, a live microorganism is ingested to help fight bacterial infection inside your digestive system.
What Are Postbiotics?
They have been previously known as the metabolic waste of probiotic products, but postbiotics are the best alternative in maintaining the digestive health in a long period of time. postbiotics in definition are live microorganisms which are friendly and beneficial for humans. They are administered into the digestive system of the host to avert the invasive bacteria in the digestive system.
Food organizations such as the Food and Agriculture of the United Nations have also attributed a lot of success in curbing to postbiotics. Once in the human digestive system, they promote the intestinal barrier to fight bacterial invasion and attenuate inflammation. Examples of postbiotics include the following:
Benefits Of Postbiotics
Postbiotics have been known for their benefits towards digestive health and are gaining much popularity in the scientific world as a major factor in long-term maintenance of digestive health. Below are some of the amazing the benefits of using postbiotics:
- Compared to prebiotics which are living organisms which secrete postbiotics when they die, postbiotics are preferably used to administer live bacteria to vulnerable people such as infants because it is less risky.
- It has a clear chemical structure and safe parameters with a long shelf life.
- For hard training athletes, postbiotics have proven advantageous because most of the postbiotic enzymes when consumed enhance the absorption of certain mineral aids and amino acids. A healthy gut is able to absorb nutrients at a higher rate, which is essential to an athlete who needs to get everything out of their diet.
- Postbiotics can also be used to treat patients with pre-diabetes since they are known to lower the sugar levels in blood cells in obese people. Inside a host, postbiotics increase the absorption of insulin, therefore reducing the rate at which diabetes gets worse.
- There is no need for bacteria to grow inside a host because postbiotics can be reproduced in the body of the host.
- Postbiotics have been known to be efficient, in that they produce the desired results, since they have a high concentration of active components.
- The immune system of the body is boosted with intake of postbiotic supplements
- Digestion is also enhanced.
- Postbiotics have been known to treat cold and flu.
- Inflammatory bowel diseases and leaky guy syndrome have also been healed by postbiotics.
Possible Side Effects Of POSTBIOTICS
Postbiotics, apart from their success in protecting the digestive system, also have some side effects. This is because not all postbiotics are created equal, with food manufactures producing counterfeit products. Such side effects include the following:
Treatment Of Side Effects
Nevertheless, the side effects of use of postbiotics have been known to be due to the success of the bacteria in our bodies. Such side effects only last for a short while and should not alarm you. Either way, there are various ways to reduce the side effects of postbiotics:
Reduce The Amount Of Postbiotic Dosage
Reducing the dosage intake of the good bacteria is a way of stopping the side effects. Where you were taking two pills, take only one pill a day and with time, increase the dosage as your body adapts to it.
Ensure You Are Hydrated
Most side effects are caused when your body has a problem detoxifying. Water is known to be the best detoxifier, therefore you should ensure that you are taking a lot of water.
Allow Your Body To Adjust
Consumption of postbiotics can drastically kill all the bad bacteria at a rate where your body is in shock, therefore, you should give your body time to adjust to the new changes.
Foods That Contain Postbiotics
It has been labelled the most famous postbiotic product, especially handmade live cultured yogurt. It contains various forms of postbiotics such as lactobacillus or acidophilus. Ensure to check on the ingredients before buying your yogurt because not all yogurts are equal.
It is a combination of goat’s milk and fermented kefir grains, a product just like yogurt. Kefir is rich in antioxidants and contains lactobacilli. There is no doubt that it is considered a good organic product for postbiotics.
Chocolate is an effective carrier of postbiotics. Its role is ensuring that the postbiotic bacteria survive the extreme PH of the digestive tract and make it to the colon.
These include spirulina, chlorella, and blue-green algae, mostly found in the ocean. Algae nourishes the postbiotics already in your digestive system.
Miso is a traditional medicine in japan, and when mixed with water makes a good postbiotic soup rich in lactobacilli and bifidus.
Pickles are, after all, vegetables, and they contain high amounts of postbiotic compounds.
This product is fermented from soybeans. Also, it has a lot of vitamin B12.
This tea contains a lot of gut bacteria and is fermented tea that has been used for centuries. Most people with candida problems have benefited from consumption of the tea. Some of its other benefits include increased energy, enhanced wellbeing, and aid in weight loss.
Consumption of good postbiotic supplements is good for a health digestive system. Therefore, one is advised to take the bacterial supplements and can be assured they are known to be safe.
Postbiotics have not only been approved by scientists and experts, but also Food Organizations have given a go ahead on the consumption of postbiotic supplements.