Isopropyl Myristate is defined as a synthetic oil that is popularly used in both the cosmetics industry as well as the pharmaceutical industry. It is widely used as a non-toxic alternative for the control of head lice, as an emollient, and a lubricant. It is manufactured through the condensation of isopropyl alcohol and mystic acid.
It is mild in odor and also colorless. The oil is readily absorbed by the human skin. It tends to lessen the greasiness that is often produced by cosmetics while providing the consumer with a lovely feel that is both sleek and sheer.
Furthermore, it is used as a potent additive in products formulated for oral hygiene, such as in mouthwash. Generally, it is considered to be very safe.
Isopropyl Myristate Benefits
Isopropyl Myristate has several advantages associated with it. Some of the major benefits include the following:
- It is used in cosmetic products for moisturizing the skin. This is because it is an emollient, which helps to strengthen the natural moisture barrier of the skin, thus enabling it to remain hydrated by decreasing moisture loss.
- It is also used for its incredible ability to thicken formulations. This is what allows deodorants and creams to have a denser texture. In addition, this is what allows some cosmetic products, such as deodorants, to be applied smoothly to the skin of the consumer.
- It is valued for its ability to enhance the overall product texture for those that have a high oil content. This is because products with a high oil content can have great benefits for the skin but their greasy feel is undesired by most consumers. In addition, greasiness because of excess oil is impractical to be utilized in creams, especially in a professional setting.
- It has skin penetrating properties that are very strong. This is a beneficial property because Isopropyl Myristate can assist other chemicals used in skin healing to penetrate into the skin more deeply. It is commonly used in topical medicinal preparations that require great absorption through the skin.
- It is the main ingredient in antiperspirants, lotions, hair creams, bath preparations, make-up, deodorants, skin care cosmetics, and perfumers’ alcohol. It is also used as a plasticizer in lacquers and hair spray.
- It is used as a penetrating, spreading, and solubilizing agent in skin lubricating lotions of the anhydrous type. Especially those with a high content of lanolin.
The above list of benefits is not exhaustive, as Isopropyl Myristate has an array of skin benefits.
Isopropyl Myristate Side Effects
There are a good number of side effects which are associated with the use of Isopropyl Myristate, the notable ones include the following:
- It may cause severe irritation that is characterized by discharge, swelling, or redness. This is common in individuals with sensitive skin. Severe irritation is facilitated by its deep penetration into the skin.
- It may result in pore clogging that can cause acne or breakouts.
- It can cause a rash in consumers.
- Contact dermatitis can be a side effect of this oil. This is one of the most common adverse side effects.
- It can cause eye conditions or irritation.
- It causes blackheads in some consumers.
- It can interfere with the respiratory system through disrupting lung function.
- It can cause skin infections that are characterized by itching, swelling, redness, or burning.
People have different skin types and this is the reason why different consumers will react in various ways to the products that contain Isopropyl Myristate as an ingredient.
Isopropyl Myristate Top Products
The numerous chemical properties of Isopropyl Myristate are what make it a popular addition to several personal care products. There are several products in the market that contain Isopropyl Myristate, the top ones include the ones listed below:
This is a product manufactured by MakingCosmetics. It is a low-viscosity emollient product which is oil-free. It is mostly used as a diluent for fragrance oils.
Isopropyl Myristate Liquid
This is a high quality product that is formulated and manufactured by Mystic Moments. It is typically sold in a 500ml container.
It is used as a moisturizer, lubricant, a thickening agent, and an emollient. It is recommended for lotions, creams, anti-perspirants, bath oils, shampoos, and aftershaves. It is also used to aid solubilize actives like vitamins, perfumes, and sunscreens into a base. It is an all-natural ester utilized to impart a feel that is dry and moisturizing to the skin.
This is an Isopropyl Myristate of a cosmetic grade. It typically sold in a 4 ounce container. It is a good alternative to Perfumer’s Alcohol since it contains no smell of alcohol.
This product contains Isopropyl Myristate to promote good absorption.
Isopropyl Myristate IPM Lotion
This lotion is manufactured by Dr. Adorable, Inc. It is used in the treatment of dry skin, diaper rash, and chapped lips. It also prevents skin disorders like eczema, psoriasis, and acne. Furthermore, it reduces inflammation.
This 500ml product is manufactured by Consolidated Chemical and Solvents LLC. It is utilized as a potent solvent in perfume materials. It is of very high purity and is packaged in 500ml bottle, 16oz bottle, and 1pt bottle.
Isopropyl Myristate IPM Lotion And Soap
It is manufactured by Dr. Adorable. It is a non-greasy emollient ester with low viscosity. It is readily adsorbed by the human skin.
It is greatly used to decrease the greasiness of emulsions, whipped butters, and lotion bars. Furthermore, it is a diluent for fragrance oils with a high efficacy.
Isopropyl Myristate (IPM)
This is a synthetic product that is used in lotions, bath oils, perfumes, and massage oils. It is a colorless liquid, it rarely is rancid, and can withstand oxidation. It can be successfully used as a perfume base. It is manufactured and sold by Bramble Berry.
IPM Isopropyl Myristate
It is manufactured by MATS. It is essentially an adhesive and makeup remover. It is oil-based, gentle, and effective. It removes all kinds of cosmetics.
Isopropyl Myristate Summary
Isopropyl Myristate has an array of uses with regard to skin care. This ingredient is common in skin care products today and this is why it is important for consumers to fully understands all the benefits and side effects that are associated with its use.
It is because of its relatively safe nature that it is widely used by the million-dollar cosmetic industry on a global scale.