In today's emerging era of cannabis popularity, a lot of questions arise relating its uses and benefits. Even while many people have been using marijuana for centuries, it has only recently become a well-known industry. Stores are popping up in states where marijuana has become legal, recreationally and medicinally.
But what are some of the differences that come with different types of marijuana? And how can you use them to your benefit?
One way to use marijuana is in the form of either CBD oil or THC oil, both derivatives of the cannabis plant. There are some major differences though and it's important to know these differences before you use either.
In this article, we're discussing the difference between THC oil and CBD oil and the many benefits and effects each has to offer. Keep reading to learn more.
Table of Contents
Before you make a decision about THC oil or CBD oil, it's important to know how they interact with your body.
Our bodies have a built-in endocannabinoid system that regulates vital functions such as homeostasis, internal stability, pain regulation and immune system functioning. When you ingest cannabis, the receptors in your body are prompted to begin communicating with each other.
Cannabinoids, known as CB-1, typically bind to receptors in the brain while other cannabinoids, known as CB-2, bind to other, various parts of the body. THC usually follows the CB-1 cannabinoids while CBD communicates with the CB-2 receptors. This makes CBD a more useful product for healing purposes because it deals with the body instead of the brain.
Now that you know how cannabis works with your own body, let's discuss the various differences between THC oil and CBD oil.
THC is the psychoactive component in marijuana that induces the sensation of being high. THC oil is made by extracting resin from the female cannabis plant through various methods. It can be used in a variety of different products including but not limited to the following:
- Capsules or Tablets
It's important to learn about finding the right dose of THC Oil depending on your sensitivity to cannabis. Too much or too little THC can cause negative feelings or you might not get the desired effects.
THC can work with both the CB-1 and CB-2 receptors in your body to help alleviate pain associated with muscle strains and other injuries. It has an anti-inflammatory effect on the body that helps to reduce swelling.
THC oil is a natural remedy for those seeking more holistic ways to manage pain.
For those that struggle with appetite due to illness or cancer, THC oil has become a great resource. Because THC binds to the cannabinoid receptors in the body that regulate feeding behavior, it helps people with certain conditions eat more. This is especially beneficial in helping the body fight disease because it's stronger with food and nutrition.
Many studies have been done and continue forth in the concept of THC use for cancer patients' relief of symptoms. It has even been suggested that cannabinoids can have a restrictive effect against some tumors.
Researchers are finding that both THC and CBD contain and serve as antioxidants in the body. The cannabinoids act as antioxidants to reduce glutamate toxicity. Glutamate acts as a neurotransmitter that signals nerve cells and too much can cause nerve overstimulation.
Cannabinoids help to protect the brain from the damage of glutamate toxicity.
Small to moderate amounts of THC likely won't have this effect as significantly as heavy use. THC oil can even relieve anxiety in smaller doses. Everybody will have a different outcome with relation to their own genetic makeup and out it interacts with the THC.
THC can cause lower blood pressure which dilates blood vessels in the eyes which can cause redness. In some cases, an allergy to cannabis could be the reason for dry, red eyes.
Dry mouth, sometimes also referred to as ‘cottonmouth' is a result of cannabinoid receptors that bind to receptors in your saliva glands. THC acts as a chemical already found in your body called anandamide, which decreases saliva production.
Some people see this as a benefit of THC Oil when they can't seem to get enough sleep. It's helpful to people with insomnia but if you don't want to be tired, you might want to stay away from THC.
THC can cause drowsiness and sedative effects.
Short-Term Memory Loss
While it probably doesn't last long, memory impairment is a well-known side effect of THC. This may be especially significant for new marijuana users.
There are several different strains of marijuana to choose from that range in strength, potency, and effect.
Strains are either of the Sativa or Indica blend and come from specific plants.
- Sour Diesel: This strain is noted to make people happy, feel uplifted, energetic and relaxed. Its medical benefits include relieving stress, depression, pain, and fatigue.
- Green Crack: This strain has effects on energy, focus, and euphoria with medical benefits including fighting off headaches, pain, and fatigue. It is also a noted strain for battling stress and depression.
- Super Silver Haze: This strain will help you relax but also provide you with more energy overall. You will feel uplifted and happy. Medical benefits of this strain are pain relief, fighting fatigue, and increasing appetite.
- Bubba Kush: This blend of marijuana might make you hungry and sleepy but it will also help you feel relaxed and euphoric. Medical benefits include fighting insomnia and increased appetite. It's also good for pain, depression, and stress.
- Grape Ape: This strain can help you feel uplifted and happy. You may also relax so much that you become sleepy. It is known for increasing your appetite and fighting insomnia and depression.
- Master Kush: Feelings of euphoria and happiness may be the result of using this strain. It will help you relax and could make you sleepy. Medical benefits include fighting off pain and pain associated with headaches. It can also help with depression, stress, and insomnia.
CBD, also known as cannabidiol, does not produce a sensation of being high, but rather calms and relaxes the body when consumed. It's more commonly used for medicinal purposes than other marijuana bi-products because of this.
CBD oil is an alternative to THC Oil, it does not contain any THC. CBD can actually counteract the psychoactive effects of THC.
Sometimes CBD is extracted from the marijuana plant, just like THC, but often times it's pulled from the hemp plant. The hemp plant is in the Sativa family of cannabis plants but contains less than one percent of THC. It can be consumed the same way that THC is consumed, through oils or other methods.
CBD oil is recommended by doctors for various health conditions over THC oil for its many benefits, without the psychoactive effects.
Just as THC works with your CB-1 and CB-2 receptors, so does CBD. The cannabinoids found in CBD work to inhibit neuron transmitters in your body that are associated with pain.
CBD research shows that it has excellent potential effects on anxiety disorders including panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, social anxiety disorder and PTSD, or post-traumatic stress disorder.
Cannabidiol, CBD has been found to be effective in both reducing frequency and severity of seizers in children and adults. There is even a new FDA approved drug available containing CBD. It's called Epidiolex and its results are astounding.
Many studies have been published indicating that CBD treatment can significantly reduce the incidence of diabetes. It has been found to have an impact on insulin and insulin resistance in adults that regularly use CBD Oil or other CBD.
Just as the cannabinoids found in THC work with the cannabinoid receptors in your saliva glands to cause dry mouth. Consuming CBD in lower doses and keeping water close by can minimize this effect.
Some people report dizziness or lightheadedness with significant use of CBD products. The best thing you can do to alleviate this side effect is to use less until you know your correct dosing requirements.
This is a side effect of the cannabinoids reacting with your system. some people report that different strains come with more or less of this effect.
Many strains of marijuana are high in THC content, but you can ask about buds that are higher in CBD. Some strains are equal for both. You can find CBD strains in both Sativa and Indica.
- Maui Wowie: You can find this strain in a few different flavors, including tropical, pineapple, and citrus. It's best known for its relaxing and euphoric effects that can also provide energy. Medical benefits include reducing stress and depression, fighting fatigue and pain relief.
- Chocolope: As the name indicates, this strain is available in coffee, earthy, and sweet flavors to help you focus and feel more energetic. Medical benefits include fighting stress and depression and increasing appetite.
- Silver Haze: This strain may have an effect on your energy and make you feel more talkative. It can also help you relax and euphoric. Medical benefits include increased appetite, pain associated with muscle spasms and reduction in stress and depression.
- Granddaddy Purple: This strain will help with the loss of appetite and make you feel happy and relaxed. It's also well known for relieving stress and depression as well as pain and insomnia.
- White Rhino: Strain attributes include feelings of happiness and euphoria as well as an uplifted spirit. You might feel sleepy or relaxed. Medical uses include pain, depression, stress, and lack of appetite.
- Skywalker: As with most indicas, this strain promotes relaxation and euphoria as well as happiness. Medical benefits include fighting fatigue and depression as well as insomnia and stress.
THC products are outlawed in states that have not legalized marijuana for medical or recreational use.
CBD products are legal and available to adults over the age of 21 in all fifty states.
Recreational marijuana states also include medical marijuana.
States where marijuana products are legal for recreational use include:
- Washington D.C.
States where marijuana products are legal for medical use include:
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- New York
- Rhode Island
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
Make sure you know the laws in your state before purchasing or using THC oil. Some states still have hefty fines and jail time, especially for repeat offenses.
Final Thoughts on CBD Oil Vs. THC Oil
Ingesting either CBD or THC through oils is just the same as ingesting it any other way. You're going to get the same effects and benefits from each separate method. Though oils are safer for your lungs, of course.
Remember that you should always use marijuana or marijuana products responsibly to ensure the best effects. Don't use these products while driving or operating machinery. Otherwise, be safe with your products and keep them out of reach of children and pets.
Cannabis retailers and distributors should educate the public and one another so that marijuana culture can thrive for the many benefits it provides. If your cannabis shop needs assistance informing your staff and customers, contact us! Our expert marijuana consultants can help with a diverse range of different projects.