Research has shown that natural foods provide benefits which are far superior to condensed and processed items. For example in a recent study it was found that fresh tomatoes possessed almost 10x the benefits of processed tomato puree.
This means that a majority of the essential nutrients are lost when these fruits/vegetables are converted into various long-life foods.
In the previous few decades there has been a surge in the use of freshly grown organic foods because people have begun to recognize the health impacts that these foods have.
Naturally grown items are free from any pesticides, herbicides, insecticides (just to name a few) and thus do not cause any long term adverse effects in our body.
What Is Calavo?
Calavo was founded in the early part of the 20th century when Rudolph Hass of La Habra, California, planted the state’s first Hass avocado tree.
During that era there were no quality control measures in place and thus there were products of varying quality being sold in the market.
Calavo gradually took over the market in terms of avocado production and product manufacturing and by 2005 packed approximately 35 percent of the California avocado crop, nearly double the market share of its closest competitor.
Calvo's two principal business units – fresh avocados and processed products – supply wholesale, retail, food service throughout the country.
The company's processed products division manufactures nearly 100 different brand names and various proprietary flavors of frozen and fresh-refrigerated guacamole using ultra-high-pressure technology.
The products being offered by the company can range from fresh vegetable produce to packaged food items. Some of the key products being offered include:
-Avocados: this is primarily the reason why the company is so well known globally. Calavo distributes the three most popular variants of avocados globally, these include:
- Hass Avocados: these avocados make up nearly 85% of all avocados consumed globally. They are Oval shaped with a medium thick, pebbly green skin and have a rich buttery flavor along with a smooth texture.This variant is easily stored and shipped because it has a good shelf life and does not rot easily even when subjected to varying temperature and humidity levels.
- Lamb Hass: these are locally known as ‘summer avocados’ and are usually available during the summer season. They respond well to ethylene conditioning and can be stored for long periods of time.
- Pinkerton Avocados: these avocados look like pears (similar structure) and are known for their rich flavor.
-Guacamole: this is one of the signature products of the company, Each unit is made using fresh ingredients including 100% Hass avocados and uses its own mix of fresh ingredients such as onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, tomatillo, serrano peppers and cilantro.
There are no preservative used and the product is packed in sealed trays or pouches which are produced using a technology called Ultra High Pressure pasteurization.
This process is completely scientific and upon clinical research was found to have no effect on taste, texture, color, nutritional value or the vitamin content of the food.
-Salsa: Calvo’s association with salsa sauce began in the 90’s when Lisa Nicholson, planted her very first backyard tomato garden.
The yield resulted in her making the first batch of Lisa Salsa which became a massive hit with the local population and before long, Salsa Lisa had become a staple in the refrigerated section of all the major grocery stores in town. The various variants within this range include:
- Calavo Salsa Lisa Mild Homemade Recipe: This freshly made salsa dip has full, real flavors that come loaded with character. It is not hot and can be consumed by almost everyone.
- Calavo Salsa Lisa Medium Homemade Recipe: This blend includes jalapenos which enhance the full freshness of the flavors without an overpowering burn.
- Calavo Salsa Lisa Real Hot Homemade Recipe: This is probably not meant for everyone, this variant includes Habaneros which add big flavor and definite heat to salsa.
The easiest and most convenient means of making a purchase is by placing an order line at the product website. All of the products have been identified and placed in relevant categories (fresh produce, processes items, chips etc).
Orders can be placed online and payments can be done using a host of safe and secure means like PayPal, MasterCard and Visa.